Houston’s Canadian cheese soup is a rich and velvety smooth soup that is perfect for your cheese lovers. This soup is filling, and perfect when served with hot bread, best of all it contains no alcohol so it is perfect for the whole family.
Houston’s Canadian Cheese Soup
Houston’s features freshly made soups every day! Canadian cheese soup is a creamy and rich soup that goes so well with a piece of crusty garlic bread. This luscious soup is made with butter, half and half, cheese, carrots, onions, and celery. It’s comforting and perfect to warm up with on a cold day.
Houston’s is part of the Hillstone Restaurant Group, a casual-dining chain with just a touch of an upscale feel. Hillstone’s founder, George Biel, wanted to provide consistency and quality in a way not seen before in more casual, full-service restaurants. He and his partners opened their first restaurant in Nashville. They named it Houston’s after their native state of Texas. If you would like to read about Biel’s success story in more detail, click here.
Why Is This Soup Canadian?
I couldn’t find the answer to this, but it could be named after a Canadian cheddar cheese soup recipe that uses Canadian Cheddar cheese.
Why Is This Soup Made With Velveeta?
Velveeta is a processed cheese product that tastes similar to American cheese but is smoother, softer, and very easy to melt. So, if you want the ultimate very smooth and creamy soup, then Velveeta cheese will give it to you.
I love homemade soup! Making soup from scratch means that you know exactly what ingredients are going into it. You could even gain control over the ingredients in Velveeta by making your own.
How to Make Canadian Cheese Soup
Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onions, and celery all at once.
Saute until soft but not brown.
Add flour and stir to combine. Cook until the mixture begins to turn a light-brown color.
Over medium-high heat, add the chicken broth a little at a time.
Stir and continue to cook, stirring with a whisk, until a thick base is formed.
Add half and half being careful not to let boil.
Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
Just before serving add parsley.
Garnish with diced tomatoes and jalapenos if desired.
Serve with a piece of crusty garlic bread for a soul-warming meal.
More Soup Recipes
- Homemade Potato Soup Recipe
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Crock Pot
- Friendship Soup
- Swiss Potato Soup
- Soup Bases
- Chilis Soups Chicken Tortilla
- White House Navy Bean Soup Recipe
- Clam Chowder Soup
Love Houston’s? Try these recipes:
Houston’s Canadian Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup carrots 1/8 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup celery 1/8 inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 pounds Velveeta
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven. Add the celery, carrots, and onion, and saute until soft but not brown.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook until the mixture begins to turn a light-brown color.
- Using medium-high heat, add in the chicken broth gradually - a little at a time. Continue cooking, stirring with a whisk until you get a thick base.
- Add the half and half, but take care not to let the mixture boil.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- When ready to serve, add the parsley. Garnish with diced tomatoes and jalapenos if desired.