Banana Cream Pie is easy to put together and tastes wonderful. You can make a banana cream pie anytime with our recipe. We were asked to remove the name of the restaurant from this recipe, I guess we were too close on this one!
Banana Cream Pie
Marie Callender's Banana Cream Pie
Banana Cream Pie Crust and Filling
- 1 9-inch pastry pie crust, baked and cooled
- 2 bananas sliced
- 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/8 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Fresh Whipped Cream Topping
- 3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Banana Cream Pie Crust and Filling Directions
- Place sugar, cornstarch, salt, evaporated milk, and whole milk in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour half of the hot mixture into eggs and stir until that mixture is completely incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan with the other half of the pudding and continue to cook on medium heat until it begins to boil again.
- Add cream cheese and mix thoroughly with a hand mixer. It will dissolve the cream cheese better and make the pudding lighter and creamier.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add vanilla and butter. Mix using the hand mixer until all is blended.
- Let the filling stand for 15 minutes.
- While the filling is still warm, pour half of the filling into pie crust.
- Place banana slices on top of the filling.
- Pour the remainder of the filling on top.
- Cool the pie completely. Do not put whipped cream on a warm pie because it will melt the topping.
- Top the pie with fresh whipped cream and garnish with sliced almonds.
Fresh Whipped Cream Topping Directions
- Pour chilled whipping cream into a glass or metal bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add powder sugar until all has been blended.
- Add vanilla slowly until it has also been blended. The whipped cream should have stiff peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream over the pie. The whipped cream may be put into a pastry bag and piped onto the pie for a decorative effect.