Luby’s Cafeteria Baked White Fish has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but they recently took this off the menu. Perhaps like you, I missed enjoying the dish, so I got to work on this one.
You are lucky if you have a Luby’s nearby because Luby’s is a cafeteria that serves up all sorts of wonderful home cooking. One of my favorite menu items has always been their baked white fish, but, unfortunately, it is no longer on the menu.
Perhaps you’re like me and miss enjoying this dish. Not to worry, I got to work on this copycat recipe so we can all eat this baked fish recipe at home.
Baked white fish is one of the best fish recipes. However, it can be difficult to know exactly how to cook fish fillets. Now you have a new recipe to arm yourself with.
You can use any white firm-fleshed fish such as haddock, cod, or halibut.
All this simple fish recipe needs (apart from the fish) is some basic seasoning – salt, pepper, and lemon pepper. And, perhaps you weren’t aware of it, but mayonnaise provides a unique topping for this fish dish.
How to Bake Fish
You can put this baked fish meal together in no time.
- Pat each fish fillet dry with a paper towel and then season it with some salt and pepper.
- Dredge the fish in flour and carefully shake off any extra flour.
- Place the fish into a baking dish, and then cover the top of the fish with mayonnaise about 1/4 inch layer.
- Sprinkle lemon pepper over the mayonnaise.
- Bake the fish for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- To finish the fish off, turn on the broiler and pop the fish under it to allow the top to brown. The mayonnaise browns and almost forms a crispy crust on top – delicious!
CopyKat Tip: Make this keto friendly! Dredge with almond flour instead of regular flour and save those carbs!
Luby’s Cafeteria Baked White Fish
How does this fish taste? Amazingly good! This dish is simple to make and is great for cooks of all levels from beginners to experienced.
What would you serve with this baked fish dish? I am partial to Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese.
Love Luby’s Cafeteria? Try these copycat recipes!
I would be interested to hear what Luby’s food you are particularly partial to. Let me know by sending me a comment.
More White Fish Recipes
Popular Seafood Recipes
Lubys Cafeteria Baked White Fish
- 24 ounces white fish (cod, haddock, white fish, or paiche)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blot excess moisture off of fish with paper towels. Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. Dredge fish in flour, and shake off excess flour. Place fish filets in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Gently spoon mayonnaise over the fish, spread mayonnaise over the fish evenly. Sprinkle lemon pepper over the mayonnaise. Add about 1/2 cup water to the baking dish. Bake fish for approximately 15 minutes. Then turn the broiler on your oven, and brown the mayonnaise on top of the fish.