My Mama made this easy tomato soup for us when we were children. Quick and easy to make. It was also inexpensive. Great with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Table of Contents
Quick and Easy Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
Opening a can of soup is so easy, why would you make it homemade? Well, you haven’t tried this recipe! It’s just as easy as canned soup but has a creamier texture and a fuller flavor.
This soup reminds me of cold nights. My mom used to serve it with grilled cheese and crusty bread.
This has all whole ingredients! Here’s what I used in it.
- Diced tomatoes – Use fresh or canned tomatoes
- Baking Soda
- Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper
Tomato Basil Soup
If you want this to have a little more spice, add some fresh basil. Tomato basil soup is a classic dish lots of people love!
Is it good for you?
If you have lactose intolerance, this might not be a very good soup for you. But if you can handle milk and cream, you’ll enjoy this soup!
What can I add to tomato soup to make it taste better?
Honestly, this recipe is so delicious you won’t need to add anything at all. But if you want to, you can add some homemade croutons or sprinkle some shredded parmesan cheese on top.
What tomatoes are best for soup?
The largest and most ripe tomatoes will be the best for this soup. You can even use canned tomatoes for a really great taste and texture. Smaller tomatoes, like cherry or grape varieties, won’t do as well in the soup.
Thanks to Aflutterby for sharing this recipe.
More Soup Recipes
Want some more soup ideas? Try one of these next!
- Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Quick and Easy Chili – a tried and true family recipe
- Applebees French Onion Soup
Quick and Easy & Homemade Tomato Soup
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda helps prevent curdling
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream half and half or evaporated milk is ok
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan add the two cups of milk, one cup of heavy cream, and butter. Heat until hot, be careful not to scorch the liquid!
- Once the liquid is hot, add the baking soda, stir quickly as it will foam.
- Add the tomatoes and reheat until hot.
- Season with salt and pepper.