Applebees French Onion Soup is a classic French Onion soup, so flavorful and so perfect for when you want a light meal. You can recreate this recipe at home with this copycat version of Applebees French Onion Soup.
Who doesn’t love Applebees? Applebees is a fun restaurant. At Applebees, you can find something for everyone. They have great burgers, salads, and if you enjoy a cocktail or two, you are in luck. I love the variety of their menu.
Did you know it is fairly easy to make French Onion Soup at home? The only hard part is cooking the onions, and while it isn’t hard, it just takes a little bit of time to cook the onions slowly to allow them to caramelize. If you have a food processor or a mandolin you can use it to help you slice the onions quickly. Most of the time I just give my knife a quick sharpen and I slice right through the onions.
For this recipe, I recommend using white onions if you have them on hand. I think that white onions taste a little sweeter, so I am rather partial to them. You can use yellow onions if you desire. One ingredient that I call for beef base. Beef base is a paste of concentrated beef flavor, it is like a bouillon cube, but I think beef base offers more flavor. Beef base is sold near where you would find bouillon cubes.
I hope you give this recipe a try, you can make a delicious pot of French Onion Soup just like Applebees. If you like Applebees be sure to check out these recipes.
Applbees Queso Blanco
Applebees Grilled Chicken Oriental Salad
19 Most Loved Applebees Recipes
Applebees French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 cups sliced white onions 6 to 7 large onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic chopped
- 10 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices firm bread
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 tablespoons or slices of Provolone cheese
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, first heat the butter and oil, then add the sliced onions and salt; saute the onions until they are browned. This will take up to 30 minutes; you want the onions to have the color of caramels. Stir frequently to prevent burning. When the Onions are almost fully caramelized, add the chopped garlic.
- Cook the onion and garlic together until the garlic has become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add beef broth, beef base, and black pepper. Taste and add more salt if needed. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes over low heat.
- To serve soup, preheat the oven to broil. Ladle soup into 8 individual ovenproof bowls, place a slice of bread on top of each, add top each slice with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, and provolone cheese. Place under the broiler and cook until the cheese just begins to brown.