Do you miss Steak and Ale? You can recreate Steak and Ale Sauteed Mushrooms at home. These simply sauteed mushrooms are divine. They are sauteed in butter and then enrobed in a velvety rich burgundy wine sauce that will have you wanting more.
Steak and Ale Mushrooms Copycat Recipe
Steak and Ale restaurants have been out of business for a long time. But you can still create some of their best-known recipes at home. The beauty of a copycat recipe is that you can always recreate that memory whenever you want. These Steak and Ale mushrooms are amazing. They are made very easily.
Steak and Ale Sauteed Mushrooms Ingredients
You will need fresh white button mushrooms, onions, butter, salt, pepper, flour, and some cheap wine. I often keep a box of inexpensive burgundy wine around the house for cooking.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
When I went to culinary school, they also had us use a cheap box of wine for our cooking. Do you know what? The food tasted good. So I recommend something like a Franzia Burgundy for the wine.
If you don’t want to do that, use a glass of wine that is hearty and very fruity. If you don’t drink alcohol, you may want to use chicken stock, beef stock, or even vegetable stock.
If you wanted to modify this recipe slightly, you could toss in some garlic. You could also use baby portobello mushrooms instead of button mushrooms.
What makes this recipe unique is that after you saute the mushrooms you will add some flour to make a roux. By making the roux, you will have a thick velvety smooth sauce that takes these mushrooms to the next level.
How to Make Steak and Ale Sauteed Mushrooms
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and black pepper.
- Sauté until the mushrooms have browned.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and then cook the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Add wine and stir. Cook until the sauce has thickened.
Love Mushrooms? Try These Recipes
- Cream of Mushroom Meatballs
- Deep Fried Mushrooms
- Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom Bisque
- Mushroom Pot Roast
- Olive Garden Stuffed Mushrooms
- Outback Steakhouse Sauteed Mushrooms
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Smashburger Mushroom Swiss Burger
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms
Favorite Steakhouse Side Dish Recipes
Steak and Ale Sauteed Mushrooms
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons beef base (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup burgundy wine
- Wash mushrooms in hot water. Dry off with a paper towel and slice the mushrooms.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter then add the mushrooms. Season with salt and black pepper. Saute until the mushrooms have browned.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and then cook the mushrooms for a minute or two.
- Add wine, and stir, the sauce will thicken.