No need to leave the house to get Outback Steakhouse sauteed mushrooms (or ‘shrooms as it appears on the menu). Sauteed mushrooms go great on a steak or baked potato and also make a great side dish!
Going to a steakhouse so often means having your steak with an extra treat or two. Sauteed mushrooms are often the side dish of choice when you order a steak. Now you can make mushrooms just like the Outback Steakhouse.
These mushrooms are super easy to make, in fact, they make a great side dish anytime you want to add mushrooms to your meal.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Beef broth
- Burgundy wine
How to Make Outback Mushrooms
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter.
- When the butter melts, add mushrooms, onions, and salt.
- Sauté mushrooms until they have browned and started to cook through.
- Add red wine and beef broth.
- Cook for a few additional minutes and allow the sauce to reduce.
For this recipe, there are instructions for both fresh and canned mushrooms. I personally love making these with fresh mushrooms. You may wish to blanch them before cooking to keep a nicer color and shape.
I find that you can get great deals on mushrooms at Costco. So every time I go to Costco, the mushrooms make it into my basket.
For the red wine, I suggest that you use an inexpensive red wine. When I say inexpensive, I am thinking something like Franzia brand. I use their burgundy wine. It comes in a box, and while I wouldn’t drink it, it is fine to cook with. The vacuum bag means that it is ok to store and cook with for a long time.
Love Outback Steakhouse? Try these copycat side dish recipes!
- Fresh Steamed Green Beans
- Salt Crust Baked Potato
- Baked Sweet Potato with Honey Butter and Brown Sugar
Best Mushroom Recipes
- How to Fry Mushrooms
- Fried Portobello Mushrooms
- Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms
- Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms
- Truffle Mushroom Soup
- Tuna Mushroom Casserole
- Mushroom Pot Roast
- Mushroom Stew
- Hibachi Mushrooms
- Olive Garden Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Outback Steakhouse Sauteed Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms or 2 – 8-ounce cans or jars of small whole mushrooms (plus the juice of one of the cans or jars)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 can beef broth (10.5 ounce can)
- 1/3 cup burgundy wine
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter. When the butter melts, add mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle mushrooms and onions with about 1/4 teaspoon salt. Saute mushrooms until they have browned and they have started to cook through. Add red wine and beef broth. Cook for a few additional minutes and allow the sauce to reduce.