Applebees Queso Blanco is a favorite appetizer of so many. This Southwestern cheese dip is smooth, creamy, and has just a little bit of spice.
White Queso dips, or queso blanco may at first seem like a mystery, I promise, it isn’t. A quick trip to the deli and you will be in the queso making business. I don’t know why, but white queso seems to be very perplexing. Many of the cheese sauces you find in restaurants have American cheese as their base. Before you recoil in horror consider that American cheese has its place. Quite honestly it does a fantastic job of melting and making cheese sauces. You may not have known it comes in the very familiar yellow variety, but it also comes in the white variety, and it is the base of these cheese sauce.
What makes this Applebees queso blanco dip copycat recipe special is that we are using fresh onions, jalapenos, and tomatoes to give this queso its added flavor. Nothing is canned, but this queso has its spice from fresh jalapenos. When working with them you may want to wear some gloves, they can burn your fingers. If you like your queso hot you can add more chopped jalapenos. You could also not seed them and get a little more of that spice.
I served this dip with corn chips, but honestly, I think this queso would taste great spooned over enchiladas, or even served over a fresh chimichanga. When serving queso at a party I like to put mine in a Fondue Pot. This way the queso stays nice and warm the whole time.
Looking for more Applebees CopyKat Recipes? Be sure to check out these copycat Applebees recipes.
19 Most Loved Applebees Recipes
Applebees French Onion Soup
Applebees Pico de Gallo
Applebees Bourbon Street Steak
Applebees Oriental Salad Dressing
Applebees Grilled Oriental Salad
Applebees Triple Chocolate Meltdown
Applebees Queso Blanco
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper finely minced, core and remove seeds if you don't like heat
- 1/3 cup white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound white American cheese
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup half and half milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- In a medium sized pot over low - medium heat add vegetable oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper and white onion. Saute onion and peppers until the onion becomes translucent. Chop cheese into large pieces, add all cheeses and half and half. Reduce heat to low and stir the cheese so it melts. When all of the cheese has melted add the fresh tomatoes, stir the tomatoes in. Stir in half of the cilantro. Just before serving garnish the queso with remaining cilantro and chopped jalapenos.