What’s better than my General Tso Chicken recipe? Pretty much nothing. Enjoy this Chinese restaurant copycat, it tastes better than take out!
Table of Contents
General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
This is one of my favorite dishes that I order from Chinese takeout. I knew I had to hack this recipe and make it at home. This tastes just like takeout. You are going to love it!
General Tso’s Chicken Sauce
Here’s what I use in my General Tso’s sauce. It’s pretty simple.
- Ginger Root
- Soy Sauce
- White Vinegar
- Dry Sherry – You can substitute this with dry white wine
- Chicken Broth
General Tso’s Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you desire
- Soy sauce
- Dried red chilies or red chili flakes
- Large egg
- Corn starch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Green scallions
What is General Tso chicken made of?
The sauce is basically a combination of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Even though it looks like a simple sauce, it’s full of flavor.
The chicken is coated with soy sauce, egg, and cornstarch then fried until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Red chilies are stir-fried with green onions. Then the sauce and chicken are added and everything is tossed together and served with rice.
It is one of the most popular Chinese dishes you can make at home. This easy General Tso’s Chicken recipe is sure to be a favorite.
How to Make General Tso’s Chicken
- Put cornstarch, water, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, and chicken broth in a jar with a lid and shake it to combine.
- Mix together chicken, soy sauce, and chili peppers in a bowl. Stir in the egg.
- Add cornstarch and mix until all the chicken pieces are well coated.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a large pot.
- Remove chiles from the chicken mixture and set them aside.
- Fry 8 chicken pieces at a time until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat until all the chicken pieces are fried.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a wok and heat until very hot.
- Add the scallions and chiles. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Shake the sauce to recombine and pour it into the wok. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and cook until everything is hot and bubbly. Be sure to toss the chicken into the sauce.
- Serve with steamed or fried rice.
- If you like to garnish with green scallions or sesame seeds are highly recommended.
Is General Tso Chicken Healthy?
There is quite a bit of sugar in the sauce and the chicken is breaded. Other than being high in carbohydrates, this is a pretty healthy meal. Chicken is light meat that is great for your heart.
You can make it even healthier by not breading the chicken and serving it with cauliflower rice.
Is General Tso Chicken Spicy?
No, I don’t think this is a spicy dish at all. If you taste it and think it has too much spice, just cut down the number of chilis you use.
Can You Freeze General Tso Chicken?
Does it freeze well? Yes, you can store it in the freezer. Keep it in a freezer bag. When you are ready to eat it again, heat it up in a skillet. If you try to reheat it with the microwave, it will affect the texture.
More Chinese Takeout Recipes
In the mood for more Asian-inspired recipes? Here are some more that taste as good as takeout.
- Chinese Mixed Vegetables
- Chinese Spare Ribs
- Cream Cheese Wontons
- Egg Foo Young
- Homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken
- How to Make Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Hunan Style Chicken
- Mongolian Beef
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Terry Ho’s Yum Yum Sauce
Favorite Chicken Recipes
Chinese Imperial Palace General Tso Chicken
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 8 small dried red chilies stems and seeds removed
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced scallions optional
- Rice, fried or steamed
General Tso’s Sauce
- Put everything in a quart jar with a lid and shake it up, then put in the fridge. Just shake it up again when you are ready to use it.
- Meat In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, soy sauce, and hot peppers. Stir in the egg. Add the cornstarch and mix until all the chicken pieces are well coated. (It will look awful at this point.)
- Heat the deep-frying oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot. Cover a large platter with a few layers of paper towels. Set aside the chiles. Deep-fry 7 or 8 chicken pieces at a time until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat until all the chicken chunks are fried. Place 1 tablespoon oil in a wok and heat until very hot. Add the scallions and chiles and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Shake the sauce to recombine, then pour it into the wok. Cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add water until it’s the right consistency. Add the chicken to the sauce and cook until everything is hot and bubbly. Serve with fried or steamed rice. Note This does not reheat well, so eat in one sitting.