Cream Cheese Wontons are a favorite in many Chinese restaurants. These are so easy to make at home and with this recipe, I can show you how you can recreate your favorite recipe at home.
Cream cheese wontons
There are a few items I love when I got to a Chinese restaurant. While these cream cheese wontons may not be authentic in any sense of the word, they are definitely a favorite of almost everyone who tries these. These are actually fairly simple to make.
How To Make Cream Cheese Wontons
I’ll show you how to make cream cheese wontons at home. I’ll show you what you’ll need from the store and give you a few cooking tips. The entire recipe is in the printable recipe card a little further below.
Ingredients to make wontons
Here is what you need from the store to make them.
- Wonton Wrappers – You’ll find these in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Cream Cheese and Sugar – The filling is made with cream cheese and a touch of sugar.
- Egg – You will need a simple egg wash to seal the wontons together.
The Best Sweet and sour sauce
You may want to serve these with Sweet and Sour Sauce. I can show you a great recipe for a sweet and sour sauce that is easy to make, this recipe actually has lemons and oranges in it. You may not need to go out for these anymore with this simple recipe. These would also go great with hot mustard sauce.
Use a damp towel to prevent shells from drying out
When filling the wontons it is a good idea to place a damp towel over the wonton shells. They can dry out if you do not keep them covered.
Is Cream Cheese Rangoon the same as wontons?
Yes, they are very similar to each other. Both cream cheese rangoons and fried wontons use fried wonton wrappers stuffed with cream cheese. The difference is what they are stuffed with. When they have crab, they are called crab rangoons.
Easy game day appetizer
Cream Cheese Wontons are a great appetizer and game day food. Make a double batch because these will disappear fast!
If you love eating Chinese takeout, here are a few more recipes you can make at home. You will love them!
Wonton Recipe Video
I love watching recipe videos. Here’s one I made showing you how easy it is to make these delicious Chinese appetizers. I hope this video helps you see the simplicity so you can make them yourself.
Cream Cheese Wontons
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white onion grated
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 48 wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, and grated while onion. Stir together the cream cheese mixture until it is well blended. Prepare an egg wash by combining one egg and water in a small bowl. To fill wontons with cream cheese mixture, brush egg wash on two sides of the wonton wrapper. Drop about a teaspoon of cream cheese onto the wonton wrapper. There are many ways to close the wonton wrapper. Wet the sides of the wrapper with the egg wash.
- Lift up the middle of the 2 opposite sides so that they meet. Squeeze lightly together Bring the middle of the 2 other sides to close the wonton Gently squeeze to close the wonton. The wonton will remain slightly open. Add enough oil for frying into a pot to cover the bottom 4 inches of the pot. Heat the oil to 350 degrees. Drop the wontons in a couple at a time until they are golden brown. Drain on a wire rack or on paper towels. Serve immediately.