Don’t buy sweet and sour sauce in the jar, make your own! This Chinese red dipping sauce is great for wonton strips and egg rolls.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t you hate it when you take out Chinese food, and they don’t give you enough sweet and sour sauce? Well, now you can make your own and you will never have to run out.
This sweet and sour sauce is easy to make. And just think you can make up a large batch of wontons and have plenty of sauce to dip your wontons in.
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need to make this sauce:
- White Vinegar
- Tabasco Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- White Pepper
Love Chinese food? Try these recipes:
- Chinese Spare Ribs
- Chinese Buffet Seafood Bake Delight Crab Casserole
- Chinese Imperial Palace Chinese Hot Mustard
- Chinese Buffet Style Donuts
For more great Chinese restaurant recipes check out The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook by Gloria Bley Miller.
Chinese Imperial Palace Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon MSG
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- dash of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- In a medium saucepan add white vinegar, water, sugar, salt, MSG, and Tabasco. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water, and add the mixture to the saucepan while stirring constantly.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and a dash of white pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook until it is bubbly and thick.
- Remove sauce from the stove and add 2 tablespoons of ketchup.