This chicken spaghetti casserole makes a great weeknight comfort meal. It features spaghetti and a creamy, cheesy sauce made with lots of shredded chicken. If you don’t have any leftover chicken on hand, just boil up a couple of pieces, and you’ll be making this dish in no time. Your family will love this chicken spaghetti recipe. It’s hearty and homey, and everyone will want second helping of this comfort food.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Spaghetti Bake
A chicken spaghetti bake is one of those classic Southern dishes that you will love wherever you live. This chicken and pasta recipe is one of those kid-friendly chicken casseroles that is also perfect for potlucks.
Pasta bakes are a meal to love because they are easy to prep and bake ahead, make a nice gift to a neighbor in need, or are great to throw in the freezer for a busy day. Life is hectic, and every now and then you need something that is already done and waiting!
Why This is the Best Recipe for Chicken Spaghetti
What makes this baked chicken spaghetti recipe the tastiest ever? One word – bacon! This chicken casserole recipe is perfect if you want to use up leftover chicken. Parmesan cheese on top adds the finishing touch that your taste buds will appreciate.
This chicken spaghetti casserole also gives you the opportunity to sneak in some veggies that your kids won’t even notice they’re eating!
Baked Chicken Spaghetti Ingredients
The ingredients for this baked spaghetti casserole are basic, and most of them are probably staples in your kitchen already.
- Spaghetti – Regular or thin spaghetti both work well.
- Chicken – chicken breasts are wonderful for this recipe, but you can use leftover rotisserie chicken or other chicken you have on hand.
- Canned tomatoes
- Cream of mushroom soup – if you like cream of chicken soup can be used.
- American cheese – Cheddar cheese is also a good option for this recipe.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Frozen peas
- All-purpose flour
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
This baked chicken spaghetti recipe is an uncomplicated dinner casserole with which to feed your family. Here’s how you make this easy chicken dish:
- Cook pasta the spaghetti in a pot according to the package directions. Drain the spaghetti noodles and set aside.
- Cook the bacon, onion, and garlic in a large pan.
- Add flour, stir it in, and cook it for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and milk, and cook until the mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the American cheese.
- Add the spaghetti, chicken, and peas. Stir to combine it all.
- Place the mixture in a 2½-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Chicken Spaghetti Recipe Tips
Don’t overcook the pasta. Boil the spaghetti until it’s just al dente. It will continue to cook in the oven and won’t end up being too mushy.
This recipe has a topping of Parmesan cheese. You could choose to mix the Parmesan with shredded mozzarella for an even more cheesy crust. These combined cheeses give a melty texture and a lovely aged, nutty flavor from the Parmesan.
Cover the casserole dish when baking to keep everything moist. If you like the cheese topping browned, pop the dish under the broiler for a few minutes right before serving.
This chicken pasta casserole is a basic dish that you can tweak in various ways to suit your family’s taste preferences and your need to use up leftovers.
- For a slightly spicy sauce, stir in some red pepper flakes.
- If you like a herby taste, mix in some freshly chopped basil, oregano, or parsley.
- Add more veggies – sauteed red bell pepper, spinach, or zucchini.
- If you have leftovers other than chicken, you can use those instead, e.g., baked ham or roast turkey.
What to Serve With Spaghetti Chicken Casserole
Baked chicken spaghetti is rich and quite filling. It doesn’t need fussy side dishes. So serve it with parmesan garlic bread, breadsticks, or Texas toast. It also pairs well with a fresh garden salad, cucumber salad, spinach salad, or roasted broccoli.
How to Store Chicken Spaghetti
This chicken casserole is a perfect make-ahead freezer meal. All you need to do is pop it in the oven to bake the day you need to serve it.
Keep leftovers in the fridge, in a covered container for up to 5 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave, starting with 1 minute and adding additional time as needed.
Make-Ahead Refrigerator Instructions
Cover your casserole dish with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap and re-cover with foil. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, then uncover for 10-15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Make-Ahead Freezer Instructions
Line your baking dish with parchment paper before filling it with pasta. Freeze until solid, and then use the parchment paper for popping the frozen pasta out. Place in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 4 months. The chicken spaghetti is already pre-formed for your baking dish, so all you have to do is slide it back in when you’re ready.
To Cook From Frozen
Place the pasta into the casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, then remove the foil and cook another 10 minutes until heated through.
Note: If your baking dish is glass, thaw the spaghetti in the refrigerator first and bake per refrigerator instructions. Most glass dishes cannot go directly from freezer to oven.
More Baked Pasta Dishes
Favorite Casserole Recipes
- Chicken and Dressing Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Chicken Casserole (with cornbread topping)
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Mexican Casserole with Tortillas
- Sausage Casserole
- Spaghetti Casserole (alternative to lasagna)
- Taco Casserole
- Tarragon Chicken Casserole
Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 10.75 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- 2 cups cubed chicken fully cooked
- 10 ounces frozen green peas thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Break the spaghetti in half, and cook according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon, onion, and garlic until the bacon is crisp.
- Add the flour and whisk it into the bacon mixture. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, soup, and milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add shredded American cheese and stir until it has melted.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, cubed chicken, and thawed peas.
- Place the mixture into a 2½-quart casserole dish
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.