Make a fresh-tasting sliced cucumber salad anytime this is the perfect light side dish with any meal.
Sliced Cucumber Salad
Sliced Cucumber salad was a staple of mine when going up. All of my family had huge gardens. Cucumbers were one of the most plentiful crops we had.
These “refrigerator pickles” were on the table at dinner almost every night. This is a great side dish and is very low calorie. You can sweeten with Splenda if you desire.
You can also let the cucumbers sit in this mixture for about 12 hours, drain, and then combine with sour cream.
Sliced Cucumbers – Made with simple ingredients
This cucumber salad is perfect to make during the summer. You can use cucumbers from your garden, the farmers market, or even the grocery store. This recipe is so basic that you can make it with any type of cucumber. You will also need some onions, I prefer white or red ones. The white and red onions are less hot than the yellow ones. You will also need vinegar, a bit of vegetable oil, salt, and black pepper.
How to make cucumber salad
First, you will need to slice your cucumbers and onions. I like to slice them about 1/4-inch thick. You can use a sharp knife, or you can use a mandolin.
Then, you will need to make the sweet and tangy pickling brine. You will combine the sugar, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. A little vegetable oil is added so the flavors carry through the whole salad.
You will then pour the pickling brine over the cut cucumbers and onions. The flavor blooms if you cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator for a few hours before you are ready to serve.
Variations on the cucumber salad
There are different ways you can serve this classic dish.
- Add a teaspoon or two of fresh dill to the bring for a bright flavor
- Add a few sliced carrots or daikon radish for variety
- Drain liquid from cucumbers and mix in sour cream for a real treat
I hope you try this recipe, it is one that has been popular around my house for as long as I can remember.
Love cucumbers and pickles? Try these recipes:
- Cracker Barrel Cucumbers Tomatoes and Onions
- Strawberry, Blueberry, Cucumber, and Basil Infused Water
- How to make homemade Spicy Dill Pickles
- Freezer Pickles
- Hooters Fried Pickles
Sliced Cucumber Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place cucumbers and onion into a bowl. In another bowl mix together combine sugar, vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Pour liquid over sliced cucumbers and onions. Store in an air tight container. Refrigerate a couple of hours before serving. These will keep for a week in the refrigerator.