Sauerkraut Salad is the perfect sweet and sour cabbage salad that is a wonderful side dish for hamburgers and hot dogs. Kraut salad is vegan and takes just minutes to make.
Why you should try this sauerkraut salad recipe.
This is an old recipe from my family. This is one of those easy recipes that everyone loves. Whenever we needed a quick salad this cold sauerkraut salad recipe is one that we made. It is perfect for picnics, summer barbecues, and potluck dinners. We would make this with our own kraut. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use plain old sauerkraut.
What is sauerkraut salad?
Are you looking for a salad that is both sweet and sour? Kraut salad is the perfect salad for you. Sauerkraut or kraut is the main ingredient in this salad.
I like to use the kind you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. My store often sells it in the deli section. You can use homemade or canned, either variety will work for this side dish.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Green bell pepper
How to Make Sauerkraut Salad
This recipe is super easy. Here are the steps:
- Combine the sauerkraut, bell pepper, celery, and onion together in a bowl. Stir the ingredients together well.
- Make the dressing for this recipe by combining sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan. Heat the vinegar and sugar together just enough to where the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sugar-vinegar mixture over the sauerkraut and stir to combine.
Customize this recipe
My family recipe is an excellent starting point for you, but you may want to switch out some of these salad ingredients to make it your own. Here are a few ideas.
- Swap white distilled vinegar for apple cider vinegar or other flavored vinegar
- Use a red onion in place of a white or yellow onion
- Add about a teaspoon of celery seed to this recipe
- Add about a teaspoon of mustard seed to this recipe (this adds a really nice texture)
- Swap the green bell pepper for a red bell pepper
- Chop up some tart apples and add them to the recipe
- Shred a couple of large carrots and add them to this recipe.
What should you serve Kraut salad with?
Since this salad is made with one of those vinegar dressings it works very well with fried food. It goes well with fried chicken, a fried pork cutlet, or barbeque.
Cold Sauerkraut Salad
I hope you give this recipe a try. This is the perfect way to use your own sauerkraut. Ideally, this salad should be refrigerated for a few hours before serving. This will give the flavors a chance to mingle together. It is a side dish salad served cold. Sauerkraut salad tastes better the second day, that is if you can wait that long to enjoy this summertime treat.
This recipe is actually my Grandmother’s recipe. She cooked simply, but her food was always amazing. She would make this kraut salad during the summer.
So next time you get out the grill, be sure to make this tangy cabbage salad.
What to Serve Sauerkraut Salad With
Favorite Salad Side Dish Recipes
- Apple Waldorf Salad
- Carrot and Raisin Salad Recipe
- Copper Penny Carrots
- Cucumber Onion Salad
- Grape Salad
- Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad
- Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese
- Spaghetti Salad Recipe
- Suddenly Pasta Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- 2 pounds sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon vinegar
- Drain the sauerkraut and place it in a bowl.
- Add onion, celery, and green pepper.
- Heat sugar and vinegar in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Pour the mixture over the sauerkraut. Stir thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.