The Suddenly Salad bacon ranch pasta salad is a great side dish to bring to a picnic or to serve as a side dish.
Make Suddenly Salad Ranch & Bacon Salad at home
If you aren’t familiar with the Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad packages, you are missing out on an easy way to make pasta salads. The Suddenly salad pasta salads are easy to fix and tasty. Suddenly Salad boxes come with flavoring packages.
This copycat suddenly salad recipe for Ranch & Bacon comes with a festive mix of vegetable blend and seasoning and imitation bacon bits. However, you can make this pasta salad at home without using the prepackaged mix.
Pasta salads are ideal for picnics or a potluck. I get requests for this pasta salad for every get-together and cookout.
Pasta Salads Aren’t Dainty
It might be true that real men don’t eat quiche or salads, especially if salads conjure up images of dainty lunches for ladies. However, pasta salads are robust combinations of pasta, vegetables, and often cheese and meat, bound together by a distinctively-flavored dressing. Pasta salads are decidedly macho and the men in your life will love them.
Pasta Salad is not Italian
Pasta, of course, is associated with Italy where they take their pasta very seriously. But pasta salad is actually more American than Italian. Italians generally prefer their pasta hot and served as a separate course. Pasta salad is relatively new in the US as far as culinary trends go. It only really became popular starting in the 1980s when there was a mayonnaise-based macaroni salad that could be found in every deli and became tiresome.
This is what you need to make the salad:
- Green Peas
- Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
- Onion Powder
- Bacon Bits
Three Rules for Making a Pasta Salad
- Don’t overcook the pasta.
- Rinse the cooked pasta in cold water. Normally you wouldn’t do this with pasta, but it’s necessary when preparing a pasta salad to keep the pasta from cooking further. Cool the pasta completely before making the salad.
- Choose your brand of pasta carefully. Although pasta is cheap, spend a few extra pennies on a name brand that you trust.
Variations on this pasta salad
Thanks to my readers who sent in some good ideas like this one:
If you think that using mayo makes the dish too heavy, swap the mayo out for sour cream and a few splashes of milk. This makes the salad creamier and lighter.
You can make this Suddenly Salad Ranch & Bacon Salad in your kitchen. Pasta, mayonnaise and a few extra ingredients create a very flavorful pasta salad. And, the crispy bacon adds a nice flavor. This is a great knock-off recipe – in fact, it’s even better than the box!
More Pasta Salad Recipes to Try
- Country Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad
- Steakhouse Pasta Salad
- Shrimp and Pasta Salad Recipe
- Simple Macaroni Salad
- Lubys Spaghetti Salad
Recipes For Pasta Lovers
- Pasta and Egg
- Olive Garden Baked Pasta
- White Wine Garlic Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- Chicken Scampi Pasta
- Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta
- Pizza Hut Baked Pasta
- Pizza Pasta Bowl
Suddenly Salad Ranch Bacon Salad
- 2 cups dry shell pasta
- 8 ounces green peas
- 2/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Bring water to a rolling boil in a saucepan. Add shell pasta and carrot shreds, allow them to boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain into a strainer and rinse under cold water.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the peas, the entire packet of ranch dressing mix, bacon bits, onion powder, and mayonnaise. Add pasta and carrots. Stir together until everything is coated with mayo-seasoning mixture. Chill and serve.