Johnny Carino’s Gorgonzola Chicken has been one of my most requested recipes in recent memory. When we went down to do research for the recipe, it had just been removed from the menu. The folks at Johnny Carino’s were kind enough to prepare the dish anyway! So you might ask yourself what is this Gorgonzola Chicken, it is a rich pasta sauce that is flavored with Gorgonzola cheese, mushrooms, grilled chicken, and fresh chopped tomatoes.
Gorgonzola sauce is actually a classic Italian sauce that many people have enjoyed, thanks to the people at Johnny Carino’s this sauce has been introduced to so many of us. If you are looking for a sauce that is creamy like an Alfredo sauce this may be a wonderful sauce for you. This pasta sauce which is made with Gorgonzola cheese has a sophistication that is perfect for when you want something more.
This recipe for Copycat Johnny Carinos Gorgonzola Chicken is no longer on the menu at most of the restaurant locations, but you can recreate this dish at home with this recipe. You can recreate this menu item at home. You will need chicken, cream, gorgonzola cheese, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese. If you have made an Alfredo sauce before you can make Gorgonzola sauce.
While this dish may not still be on the menu at most Johnny Carino’s you can make this flavorful pasta sauce. It goes perfectly with fresh grilled chicken and tomatoes.
More Great Copycat Pasta Recipes
Copycat Johnny Carinos Gorgonzola Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound dry pasta
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 ounces crumbly Gorgonzola cheese
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red tomatoes
- Pound chicken breasts until they are 1/2 inch thick season with salt and pepper. Sear chicken in a hot skillet with two tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes or until completely cooked. Remove chicken breasts from heat, and let rest for several minutes before slicing. You may need to add an additional tablespoon of butter or two to the saucepan to saute the mushrooms.
- Saute the mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are browned. While mushrooms are browning sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook pasta according to instructions on the package. Johnny Carino's typically uses penne pasta, but I like to use a fettuccine pasta because I think it holds the sauce better.
- Prepare sauce by combining half and half and Gorgonzola in a saucepan heating through. The sauce should thicken slightly. Slice chicken into 1/4 inch slices. Add sauteed mushrooms to the sauce, and stir to combine well. Plate pasta by adding 1/4 of the pasta, 1/4 of the chicken slices.
- Drizzle with sauce, and top with chopped tomatoes and shredded Parmesan. If you need to reheat this dish, I recommend leaving all of this unassembled and reassemble just before serving again. If you do not combine the pasta sauce and pasta together while this is refrigerated the sauce won't soak into the pasta.