Homemade macaroni salad is a simple salad to make. Did you know you don’t need to buy macaroni salad? You can make homemade macaroni salad from scratch.
Sometimes I love to bring a good old-fashioned homemade Macaroni Salad to a potluck dinner. I think these are so simple to make, and they are very tasty. I think a macaroni salad is a great change from potato salad or even cole slaw. I personally think homemade is best whenever you can do this over store-bought.
When you make your own macaroni salad from scratch you can customize it any way you like. Sometimes I like to add olives or even tiny cubes of cheddar cheese to my macaroni salad. I also may switch out my pickles from dill or a sweet pickle when I want a little bit of a difference in the taste. You could also swap this for a lower carb pasta if you are watching the carbs.
When you buy macaroni salad from the store, you get what you get. When you make food from scratch you can always customize it the way you like.
When it comes to pasta, I really like the Barilla brand. For me, I always get the best results when I use Barilla.
It is really crucial to salt the water you boil the pasta in. If you don’t do this, the pasta may taste bland. I also am not a fan of rinsing off pasta after I cook it. I like to simply drain it and let it cool before using it with the recipe.
You may want to garnish this macaroni salad with some sprinkled paprika as I did here. You may even like to add some chopped hard-boiled eggs to this one. Your family will love this homemade macaroni salad.
Need more ideas for salads to make for a potluck dinner? Check out these favorite salad recipes
- Pea Salad with Bacon
- Knotts Berry Farm Pea Salad
- Hot German Potato Salad
- Copper Penny Salad
- Glorious Ham Salad
- Sweet Tomatoes Joan’s Broccoli Madness Salad
Homemade Macaroni Salad
- 4 cups macaroni - cook according to package directions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar cider vinegar is ok
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pimiento peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain pasta and allow to cool. Prepare dressing for macaroni salad by combining mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and mustard in a small bowl. Stir creamy sauce until it is well combined. In a large bowl add cooked macaroni, chopped celery, shredded carrots, chopped red onion, chopped bell pepper, chopped roasted red bell pepper, and add creamy dressing. Stir to combine. Add in shredded cheddar cheese. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate a couple of hours before serving.