Marinated Beet Salad is the perfect way to enjoy fresh beets. Beets can be cooked easily in the oven after they cool a quick marinade can be poured over them for the perfect side dish.
If you want something a bit different to a lettuce salad, this roasted beets recipe is perfect. This beet salad is easy to make, and you can vary what type of oil and/or the vinegar you use, or even what fresh herbs you would like to add. If you are looking for something vegetarian and gluten-free, this is the perfect recipe for you.
All Beets Are Not Red
These root vegetables come in a variety of colors, including pink, purple, golden, and white. Some types are even striped. You can find unusual beets at farmers’ markets and specialty food stores. Tiny “baby” beets, the size of radishes, have been pulled to thin the beet rows in early summer and are a delicacy.
- Chioggia beets: These look like ordinary beets on the outside, but inside they have distinctive red-and-white-striped flesh. For this reason, they are also called candy cane beets. These heirloom Italian beets rank highest on the sweetness scale.
- Golden beets: These are the color of carrots and don’t “bleed” once cooked. Golden beets have a mild flavor and are less sweet then chioggia or red beets.
- White beets: White beets look very similar to turnips and are the lowest when it comes to sweetness.
How to Cook Beets
It’s so easy to cook beets by roasting them in the oven. A quick rinse and a chop off of the greens, and you are ready to go. Wrap up the beets in foil and bake them in a 350-degree oven for about an hour. Let the beets cool off before handling. After they are cooled, the outer skin simply rubs right off.
The Marinade for the Salad
The marinade is a simple vinaigrette that is very easy to make. The base of vinegar and vegetable oil is seasoned with cumin, salt, and pepper, and poured over the beet slices. The salad is garnished with scallions and parsley.
Variations on This Beets Recipe
- A teaspoon of lemon juice can brighten up the flavor.
- A teaspoon of orange juice can change the flavor.
- For a more substantial salad, add feta cheese.
- Combine the roasted beets with uncooked apple slices.
This roasted beets salad is very easy to make and will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
Here is what you need to make the salad:
- Fresh beets
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and Pepper
How to store beets
Beets are a vegetable that is great to keep on hand. Beets can keep in the refrigerator once you remove the tops for up to 3 months. It’s best to keep the beats in a perforated plastic bag in your vegetable crisper. Be sure to adjust your crisper drawer to the low humidity setting. Also be sure not to overpack those vegetable drawers so the air can circulate freely.
How to cook beets for marinated beet salad
It’s so easy to cook beets. They can be baked in the oven. A quick wash, and a chop off of the greens, and you are practically ready to cook the beets.
Wrap up the beets in foil and bake them in a 350-degree oven. It takes about an hour to cook a beet.
Let the beets cool off before handling. After they are cooled the outer skin simply rubs right off.
Slice up the beets into 1/4-inch slices, if the beets are very large you may want to slice them in half first.
Make the marinade for the salad
The marinade is very easy to make. A simple vinegarette is made with vinegar, vegetable oil, and cumin.
Pour the marinade dressing over the beet slices. Gently toss to beets to coat them well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle chopped scallions and parsley on top and this dish is ready for serving.
This marinated beet salad is very easy to make. This will keep fresh for several days in the refrigerator.
More Side Dish Salads
- Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Classic Carrot Raisin Salad
- Orange Jello Fluff
- Simply Pasta Salad
- Grape Nut Salad
- 24 Hour Fruit Salad with Marshmallows and Sour Cream
- Cold Alfredo Pasta Salad
- Spaghetti Pasta Salad
- Simple Macaroni Salad
- Three Bean Salad
Can’t get enough marinated beet salad? Try these recipes
Marinated Beet Salad
- 6 cups beets about 8 beets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheatyour oven to 350 degrees. Wrap each beet in foil and place in a pan. Bake beetsfor 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- Removethe beets from the oven. Open each foil-wrapped beet slightly to allow steam toescape. Allow the beets to cool for about 20 minutes, or until they are coolenough to handle.
- Rubthe skin off the beets. Cut each beet into slices about 1/4-inch thick.
- Whisktogether well the vinegar, oil, and ground cumin.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the beets and toss to coat, taking care not to break thebeets up into small pieces.
- Sprinkle the scallions and parsley over the beets. Season with salt and pepper to your personal preference.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- A teaspoon of lemon juice can brighten up the flavor
- A teaspoon of orange juice can change the flavor