Marinated Beet Salad is the perfect way to enjoy fresh beets. Beets can be cooked easily in the oven after they cool a quick marinade can be poured over them for the perfect side dish.
I recently went to a dinner party and was looking for something a bit different to bring. I was asked to bring a salad, and I didn’t want to bring a lettuce salad. My grocery store had some delicious looking fresh organic beets. This beet salad is easy to make, and you can vary what types of oil you use, or even what types of fresh herbs you would like to add. If you are looking for something that is vegetarian and gluten-free, this is the recipe for you to use.
You can make a delicious fresh beet salad at home with this recipe. Beets are the perfect side dish to make in the spring.
How to cook beets for salad
It’s so easy to cook beets. They can be baked in the oven. A quick wash, and a chop off of the greens, and you are practically ready to cook the beets. Wrap up the beets in foil and bake them in a 350-degree oven. It takes about an hour to cook a beet. Let the beets cool off before handling. After they are cooled the outer skin simply rubs right off.
Slice up the beets into slices, if the beets are very large you may want to slice them in half first.
Make the marinade for the salad
The marinade is very easy to make. A simple vinegarette is made with vinegar and vegetable oil. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper, and pour over the beet slices. Toss to beets to coat well, and this dish is ready for serving.
This beet salad is very easy to make. This will keep fresh for several days in the refrigerator.
Can’t get enough beet salad? Try these beet recipes
Marinated Beet Salad
- 6 cups beets about 8 beets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap each beet in foil and place in a pan. Bake beets for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove beets from oven, and slightly open each foil wrapped beet to let the steam escape from the foil. Allow beets to cool for about 20 minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle.
- Rub the skin off of the beet and then slice the beet to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Mix together oil, vinegar, and ground cumin and whisk together well.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over beets and mix together well, be careful not to break beets up into small pieces. Sprinkle over scallions and parsley into beet salad. Season with salt and pepper to your personal preference.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- A teaspoon of lemon juice can brighten up the flavor
- A teaspoon of orange juice can change the flavor