It’s hard to beat homemade broccoli salad. This delicious side dish is filled with fresh crisp broccoli, bacon, red onion, sharp Cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and almonds. This is the perfect dish to bring to a potluck or picnic.
I love going to potlucks you normally get to try everyone’s best dish. This broccoli salad is perfect to bring to a summer picnic or even a potluck.
Ingredients for Broccoli Salad
You will simply need some fresh vegetables. You will need a large broccoli crown or you can buy the regular broccoli and cut off the stalk. You can save the stalk for a salad or even some homemade broccoli cheddar soup.
You will also need a red onion. A white onion will work in a pinch if that is what you have on hand.
You will also need some fresh tomatoes. I have used cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or even Roma tomatoes for this recipe.
You will make your own creamy dressing with mayonnaise, white distilled vinegar, and some sugar. This dressing also works well for coleslaw if you need to make your own.
I really like to make this dish the night before I am going to serve it. While perfectly tasty when just made, the flavors to get better the longer you allow this salad to rest before serving.
If you cut want to cut the sugar from this you may want to add some Splenda in its place. I personally do like this with raisins. As I am not a fan of raisins, you can omit those as well.
You may want to read How to pick out fresh broccoli
I hope you give this broccoli salad a try. I make mine with almonds, but I think cashews would work equally as well. The nuts add a nice crispness to this salad that I know you will enjoy.
I think you could also easily add some sliced cucumber or even some chopped red bell pepper for a nice flavor.
I hope you enjoy this broccoli salad recipe, I think you will find it a great addition to your picnic or potluck recipes.
Love broccoli? Check out these broccoli recipes
- Quick and Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Joe Tecces Chicken and Broccoli
- Pasta House Pasta con Broccoli
- Keto Oven Roasted Broccoli and Cheese
- Cracker Barrel Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
Homemade Broccoli Salad
- 2 pounds broccoli
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked crisp
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes or cherry or grape tomatoes
- Wash broccoli and pat dry. Cut off the the broccoli flowers, leaving the stems aside. You can save the stems for use with a different recipe. Place broccoli in a medium sized bowl. Crumble crisp bacon and add to bowl. Add chopped red onions, raisins if desired, shredded cheese and stir. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir the dressing together and drizzle over broccoli. Add tomatoes last and mix the tomatoes in gently. Cover salad and store overnight. You can serve immediately if you desire, better flavors result the longer you let the salad rest.