Black Bean and Corn Salad is so simple anyone can make it. Canned corn, black beans, balsamic vinegar, oil, and a few seasonings combine to make a delicious salad that is a perfect side dish or burrito filling.
Table of Contents
Black Bean Corn Salad
There are plenty of healthy side dishes out there, but few are as tasty and easy to make as this Black Bean and Corn Salad recipe. As long as you are handy with a can opener, you shouldn’t have any problems throwing this one together.
This salad goes well with just about any roasted or grilled meat or poultry, but it is particularly delicious served alongside pork dishes. If you want, you can even warm it up a bit and spoon it over rice or couscous for a complete and simple vegetarian meal!
Beans, Beans, They’re Good For Your Heart… and More!
The nutritional power packed into a tiny bean is amazing. Beans are rich in protein, antioxidants, fiber, and contain most of the essential vitamins and minerals you need to remain healthy.
Not only are black beans relatively low in calories and fat, but they can help improve your digestion and how you utilize the food you eat. Better digestion may lead to weight loss and other health benefits such as controlling blood sugar levels and improving heart health.
What you need to make the salad:
- Canned black beans
- Balsamic vinegar
- Chili powder
- Salt and Pepper
What the Heck is Mexicorn?
Depending on where you live, you may not have heard about the culinary staple, Mexicorn. Although the recipe varies depending on which brand you buy, most cans of Mexicorn contain corn kernels, red and green peppers, and a bit of seasoning. If you can find Mexicorn in your local supermarket, it is a snap to make your own.
Cut a quarter cup each of red and green peppers and combine with a 12 oz can of drained sweet corn. Add a bit of salt and pepper along with a pinch of adobo or taco seasoning. Roasting the peppers before using them gives the Mexicorn a sweeter and more complex flavor.
How to Make Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Simply mix together the ingredients. It’s so quick and easy!
Worthwhile Additions to this Easy Corn and Black Bean Salad
Go ahead and keep this side dish simple, or if you want, feel free to gussy it up a bit. One addition that many people like is throwing in a bit of chopped red onion for a bit of a bite. Depending on how much you like onions, the amount is up to you, but a good starting point is around a cup.
Some folks like to dress this salad with a simple vinegarette made with a third of a cup of olive oil, minced garlic, a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and the juice of a lime.
Right before serving, consider sprinkling on some finely chopped cilantro or adding some diced avocados on top.
Tips for Making This Healthy Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Switch up the type of beans you use. Kidney, pinto, and cranberry beans all work equally well in this dish. Better yet, there is nothing stopping you from mixing and matching multiple bean types.
- Make this salad ahead of time. This is a fantastic side dish to make on the weekend and serve throughout the week because it actually gets better a day or two after combining.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Don’t dress or garnish the salad until serving.
Love corn? Try these recipes!
Favorite Salad Side Dishes
- Bacon Pasta Salad
- Carrot and Raisin Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
- Grape Walnut Salad
- Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese
- Polish Beet Salad
- Sauerkraut Salad Recipe
- Spaghetti Salad Recipe
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 16 ounces black beans
- 12 ounces Mexicorn
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Let it sit at room temperature for up to an hour for the flavors to marry or cover it and refrigerate overnight.