Hot Bacon Salad Dressing may seem difficult, it is easy to prepare, and it makes the perfect salad dressing for this hearty spinach salad.
Maybe you have dined out at Applebees, or remember when Bennigans used to serve up a spinach salad with hot bacon salad dressing. Did you know this is a super easy recipe to make? You really don’t need to go out for this fancy salad, it’s really easy to make this one at home.
This homemade salad dressing may have its origins in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Their German food often combines the flavors of sweet and sour together. Growing up my Great grandmother would serve up a wilted salad which the similar hot bacon dressing was served on whatever lettuce was in season. This salad was served up during the spring and summer.
You can make this salad dressing in no time at all with this easy recipe. You will need bacon, red wine vinegar, sugar, and Dijon mustard. I like to cook my bacon in the oven, then I retain the bacon drippings for the salad. By using a wire rack resting on top of a jellyroll pan, the bacon drippings end up in the bottom of the pan so you can use them easily.
Where can you buy Hot Bacon Salad Dressing?
Certainly, you can buy this amazing salad dressing, right? No, this is one salad dressing you need to make up fresh before serving. This salad dressing actually gets cooked just before it is served, but don’t worry this is an easy salad dressing to put together.
What types of greens to use for this salad?
Often this salad is made with spinach, but you can use romaine lettuce. You can also use iceberg lettuce as well. It is important to keep in mind that you should consume this salad at once after putting this hot bacon dressing together.
Other uses for Hot Bacon Dressing
This recipe is perfect for salad greens that are a little bitter. Did you know you could also pour this salad dressing recipe over the top of boiled potatoes, or even
Want to try your hand at more homemade salad dressings? Be sure to check out these homemade salad dressings
This blog post contains an affliate link
Hot Bacon Salad Dressing and Spinach Salad
- 8 ounces bacon reserve drippings
- 16 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 6 ounces tomatoes
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Prepare the salad, place the spinach in a bowl, add tomatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, and sliced red onion to the spinach.
- After the bacon has cooked reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Chop the bacon and place it on the salad.
- In a saucepan add the bacon grease, red wine vinegar, sugar, and Dijon mustard. Turn the heat to medium and begin to whisk the salad dressing until it beings to bubble, and the salad dressing turns into a uniform salad dressing.
- Pour hot bacon salad dressing over the spinach salad, mix the salad dressing into the salad.