Hot Bacon Dressing may seem difficult, it is easy to prepare, and it makes the perfect salad dressing for a hearty spinach salad.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Bacon Dressing for Salads
Maybe you have dined out at Applebees, TGI Friday’s or remember when Bennigans used to serve up a spinach salad with hot bacon salad dressing. Did you know this is a super easy recipe to make? You really don’t need to go out for this fancy salad, it’s really easy to make this one at home.
This homemade salad dressing may have its origins in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Their German food often combines the flavors of sweet and sour together.
Growing up my Great grandmother would serve up a wilted salad which the similar hot bacon dressing was served on whatever lettuce was in season. This salad was served up during the spring and summer.
You can make warm bacon salad dressing in no time at all with this easy recipe.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Baby spinach leaves
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
I like to cook my bacon in the oven, then I retain the bacon drippings for the salad. By using a wire rack resting on top of a jellyroll pan, the bacon drippings end up in the bottom of the pan so you can use them easily.
How to Make Hot Bacon Salad Dressing and Spinach Salad
- Cook bacon in the oven until browned and crispy.
- Chop the cooked bacon into pieces.
- Reserve bacon grease for the dressing.
- Place the spinach in a bowl and top with tomatoes, chopped hard-boiled eggs, sliced red onion, and bacon.
- Place the bacon grease, vinegar, sugar, and mustard in a saucepan.
- Heat to medium and whisk the salad dressing until it beings to boil and turns into a uniform mixture.
- Pour the hot bacon salad dressing over the salad.
- Toss the salad and enjoy!
Where can you buy Hot Bacon Salad Dressing?
Certainly, you can buy this amazing salad dressing, right? No, this is one salad dressing you need to make up fresh before serving.
This salad dressing actually gets cooked just before it is served, but don’t worry this is an easy salad dressing to put together.
What types of greens to use for this salad?
Often this salad is made with spinach, but you can use romaine lettuce. You can also use baby kale or iceberg lettuce as well. It is important to keep in mind that you should consume this salad at once after putting this hot bacon dressing together.
Other Uses for Hot Bacon Dressing
This recipe is perfect for salad greens that are a little bitter. Did you know you could also pour this salad dressing recipe over the top of boiled potatoes?
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- French Dressing
- House Dressing
- Japanese Salad Dressing
- Pesto Dressing
- Russian Dressing
Favorite Salad Recipes
- Apple Pecan Chicken Salad
- Applebees Oriental Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad Chick Chicken Salad
- Green Jacket Salad
- How to Make Ham Salad
- Spaghetti Salad Recipe
- Wendy’s Strawberry Salad
Hot Bacon Salad Dressing and Spinach Salad
- 8 ounces bacon reserve drippings
- 16 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 6 ounces tomatoes
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
Bacon Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a wire rack inside of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Lay bacon slices over the wire rack.
- Cook bacon at 425 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes in the oven, or until browned and crispy.
- Place the spinach in a bowl and top with tomatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, and sliced red onion.
- After the bacon has cooked, reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Chop the bacon and place it on the salad.
- Place the bacon grease, red wine vinegar, sugar, and Dijon mustard in a saucepan.
- Turn the heat to medium and begin to whisk the salad dressing until it beings to bubble and turns into a uniform mixture.
- Pour the hot bacon salad dressing over the spinach salad.
- Mix the salad dressing into the salad.