This Red Velvet Cake is one that my mother made many times when I was a child. I love the chocolate goodness combined with the rich creamy cream cheese frosting.
It’s hard to beat a delicious homemade Red Velvet Cake. A moist chocolate cake topped with creamy cream cheese frosting is the perfect way to finish a meal.
Why is it called a Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet cakes have an interesting history. In the 1800s cocoa powder made its way into the kitchens of cooks. When the cocoa powder was added to cakes it makes the crumb of the cake more tender, hence the name velvet cakes. In the early 1900’s recipes began to surface for Deviled Food Cake and more.
Around World War II beets were added to cakes, beets were added because they added filler, and with rationing of flour and sugar, the beets were helpful. This is when the chocolate cakes began to turn red. Hence, a Red Velvet Cake, after the War, Adams Extract company offered their red food coloring as a way for the cakes to turn red.
It’s easy to make a delicious and tender chocolate cake from scratch. If you have never tried making a cake from scratch you should give it a try! It’s not difficult and the results are worth it!
Love chocolate cakes? Be sure to try these recipes.
Red Velvet Cake
Homemade Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1 ounce water
- 2 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and blend. Add food coloring, water, and cocoa.
- Blend in buttermilk; add flour and salt gradually. Add vanilla and beat until mixed. Mix vinegar and soda and stir in last; do not beat.
- Pour into 2 9-inch pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Frost with Fluff Frosting.
- Add milk mixture and vanilla; continue beating. When icing is very fluffy, frost cool cake.