Chipotle coleslaw is easy to make, and it is perfect for those who are following a low carb or a keto friendly diet.
Coleslaw can often be sweet, but you can make one that is more savory. This Chipotle Coleslaw gets the bulk of its flavor from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos, and while they aren’t too hot, they are full of lots of delicious smoke flavor.
This southwestern inspired coleslaw can be made with red or green cabbage. Red onions and cilantro are added to balance out the flavors. This coleslaw is perfect for barbecues, Mexican food, and anytime you want a coleslaw that is a bit different than your standard variety.
What are Canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?
If you have never tried these, look in the ethnic section of your grocery store, you can find these peppers there, typically they are sold in small cans. The can may be small, but a ton of flavor is packed within this can.
Sometimes these peppers can be a bit hot, and if you don’t want the spiciness, you can scrape the seeds out of the peppers and enjoy them. This recipe does not require you to use the whole can, so take your extra and store in a glass container, as they still stain plastic containers. The peppers will stay fresh in your refrigerator for about a month.
Love Coleslaw? Try these great recipes
- Oriental coleslaw
- The Best Make Ahead Cole Slaw
- Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw
- Famous Dave’s Coleslaw
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw (Better than KFC)
- Captain Ds Cole Slaw
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 pound shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Prepare the coleslaw dressing by removing the 2 tablespoons of peppers from the can. If the peppers are firm, chop them up into small fine pieces. Add mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Place shredded cabbage into a bowl, and sprinkle salt over cabbage.
- Add red onion to the cabbage mixture, and stir in the coleslaw dressing. Combine until all cabbage is well coated. Add cilantro.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve after refrigerating for about 1 hour for best flavor.
Thank you for sharing such a savory coleslaw, I very much look forward to the delicious food that you will share.
Thank you Stephanie for this recipe, it looks great! I am always looking for interesting Low Carb recipes to add to our dinner menu rotation. 🙂