Famous Dave’s Coleslaw is a creamy, sweet, and slightly spicy coleslaw that is so hard to resist. You can recreate this coleslaw recipe at home.
Homemade Coleslaw with Horseradish
It’s easy to make delicious coleslaw at home. You don’t need to buy coleslaw already made, it’s so easy to make coleslaw fresh at home. It takes no time at all to prepare a delicious heaping helping of coleslaw.
This coleslaw is made with green cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded carrot.
The coleslaw dressing is unique. It is made with horseradish and mustard to give it a special flavor and a little kick of heat. Miracle Whip makes it creamy. Sugar balances the heat with sweetness.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Green cabbage
- Red cabbage
- Miracle Whip
- Grated horseradish
- Dry mustard
- Ground white pepper
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Celery seed
How to Make Famous Dave’s Coleslaw
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded cabbages and carrots to mix them together.
- Place the Miracle Whip, sugar, horseradish, dry mustard, white pepper, salt, garlic powder, and celery seed in a bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and stir to mix the cabbage and carrots with the dressing.
- Let the coleslaw sit for a few hours in the refrigerator before serving. By allowing the flavors to mingle for a couple of hours you are going to end up with a perfectly seasoned bowl of coleslaw.
I know you are going to love this delightful copycat of Famous Dave’s Coleslaw. It’s perfect for a barbecue, fried fish dinner, or perfect for your summer grilling festivities.
Do you love coleslaw? Try these recipes!
- Captain D’s Coleslaw
- Freezer Slaw
- Homemade Slaw
- Houston’s Coleslaw
- KFC Coleslaw Recipe
- Oriental Coleslaw
- Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw
- Red Cabbage Coleslaw
- Sweet and Sour Coleslaw
- Vinegar Based Coleslaw
Favorite Cabbage Recipes to Try
Check out more of my easy salad recipes and the best side dish recipes here on CopyKat!
Thanks to Chef Boy RV for sharing this recipe.
Famous Dave’s Coleslaw
- 10 cups red & green chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 cups Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Toss the cabbage and carrots thoroughly.
- Mix the Miracle Whip, sugar, horseradish, dry mustard, white pepper, salt, garlic powder & celery seed in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and blend well.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
Yup i worked there too theres definitely pineapple in the coleslaw
There may have used to have been pineapple in it. But, I can tell you that is not the case anymore. I just finished eating some and there was no pineapple or red cabbage in it. Now I do know why there is a bite to it though. Has to be the horseradish. I love Famous Dave’s Cole Slaw.
This recipe is way too hot for Daves dressing! Maybe it should be prepared horseradish, and NOT raw grated horseradish. I don’t know if there are different heats of horseradish, but ours was so hot it made it unpleasant to eat.
I work at Famous Dave’s..and I am pretty sure there is pineapple in our coleslaw
Anonymous is right—I worked there, too, and there is pineapple in the cole slaw. Sorry, but the recipe above is not the right one if you are looking for Famous Dave’s!