You might wonder how to make homemade peanut butter. I have to tell you it is very simple. Incredibly simple to make, but fresh peanut butter tastes amazing.
I will say to make to make homemade peanut butter you will need either a heavy duty mixer or a heavy duty blender like a Vitamix. I love making this from scratch. I personally like to use organic whenever I can, but organic products can be expensive when you buy them, but I must say you can often make organic products from scratch and you can save a lot of money. I learned how to make cream cheese from scratch. I have tried this recipe with nuts from the bulk bin from the grocery store, as well as a jar of peanuts, and I have to say they all work very well. I really enjoy using honey roasted peanuts to make homemade peanut butter.
When you make peanut butter from scratch you have the benefit of making it creamy or crunchy or even somewhere in between. In fact, this recipe is great, for kids because it’s so easy, and as long as you don’t have a peanut allergy you should be ready to enjoy some freshly made peanut butter. Homemade creamy peanut butter isn’t quite the same as store-bought peanut butter. So it isn’t quite like opening a jar of Jiff or even Peter Pan, but you will get a creamy texture that is a little denser.
You have the option to add a little bit of peanut oil to thin down the consistency of the peanut butter so it is smoother. Also, homemade peanut butter doesn’t have all of the sugar that the store-bought kind. You could add a little honey or even some superfine sugar to sweeten it up if you desire.
Love Peanut Butter? Check out all of these great Peanut Butter recipes
How to make homemade Peanut Butter
- 16 ounces dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil use if you want creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey agave nectar, or sugar to sweeten if desired
- Depending upon your food processor or heavy-duty blender times to process peanuts may vary. Place peanuts in the vessel. Process in a food processor for 1 to 2 minutes, check the consistency, and taste. Add salt, oil (if you want creamy peanut butter), and sweetener if desired.
- Process for an additional minute or two. If using a heavy duty blender like a Vitamix process or 1 minute and season with sugar, oil, and salt if desired. Process for an additional 30 seconds. I find if you use honey roasted peanuts they are almost perfectly seasoned.