Pies are my favorite dessert and this chocolate peanut butter pie is at the top of my list. This chocolate and peanut butter pie has all of the flavors you love in one rich dessert, and pairs beautifully with a creamy espresso coffee.
Why this is the Best Recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cream Pie
Most chocolate peanut butter pies have you use a prepared pie crust, which can work but it does lack some flavor from the butter you use with this recipe.
It is also more than just a peanut butter and cream cheese base. When you add in the heavy cream and brown sugar, it brings the taste of this pie to the next level.
Is this a no bake chocolate peanut butter pie recipe?
The pie filling itself is a no bake pie, however, if you are making the recipe as it is written, you will have to bake the pie crust before it is used to hold the pie filling.
But, if you would like to make this into a no bake pie, you can purchase a premade graham cracker or chocolate pie crust at the grocery store and use that in place of the homemade pie crust with the recipe.
When using a premade crust, you will not need the graham cracker crumbs or the butter as listed in the ingredients.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie Ingredients
The nice thing about this easy chocolate and peanut butter pie is that you will most likely have everything you need at home to make it. So, it is perfect for those times when you make a dessert in a pinch.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Butter you can use either salted butter or unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese – for this recipe I prefer the full fat cream cheese
- Natural peanut butter
- Dark brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
What crust is best for chocolate peanut butter pie?
Since this is a thick and creamy pie, it works wonderfully with a graham cracker crust.
You can use either honey graham crackers or chocolate graham crackers and you will have a delicious crust for this peanut butter chocolate pie.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- In a bowl mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Press the crumb mixture into a pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- With a stand mixer and using another clean bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the creamy peanut butter filling.
- Spoon or pour the peanut butter mixture into the pie crust and gently spread it to the edges.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator and chill it for about 1 hour or until the pie sets.
- In a small saucepan, heat, heavy cream until it just begins to boil.
- Add the chopped chocolate to the pan. Stir continuously until the chocolate melts completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate ganache topping over the peanut butter pie.
- Refrigerate the pie until the chocolate sets.
Ways to Top Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
The nice thing about this pie is that you can make it super simple or fancy, whichever you’d like!
- If you are looking for a simpler option, leave it with just the melted chocolate ganache poured over the top.
- You can also add either a layer of whipped cream on top, or drizzle melted peanut butter on top., or you may want to top this with a dollop of Cool Whip.
- Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top of the pie.
- Go extra fancy and do all three and you will have a truly luscious peanut butter chocolate pie.
Why is my chocolate peanut butter pie runny?
There could be a couple of different reasons:
- If your cream cheese was too soft it can make the pie softer and harder to set up.
- If you add too much of the heavy cream you can get a runny pie. Offset this by adding in more peanut butter to thicken it up.
Then make sure to place the peanut butter mixture in the fridge to let the pie filling set up a bit.
Does chocolate peanut butter pie need to be refrigerated?
Yes! This pie most definitely needs to be refrigerated. Since its base is made with cream cheese and heavy cream, it needs to be kept cool.
Pull the pie out of the fridge when you are ready to serve it. Note it should be put back in the fridge when you are done serving it.
Do not keep the pie at room temperature for longer than 1 to 1 1/2 hours. This pie is best cold!
How long can you store a chocolate pie in the fridge?
As long as this pie is kept in the fridge, it will last 5-6 days when it is stored covered with aluminum foil or saran wrap.
Can you freeze chocolate and peanut butter pie?
You can freeze this pie. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months when wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Then just take it out of the freezer at least 12 hours before you need to serve it and let it thaw in the fridge.
Best Homemade Pie Recipes
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Eggnog Pie
- Fruit of the Forest Pie
- Karo Syrup Pecan Pie
- Marie Callender’s Banana Cream Pie
- Millionaire Pie
- Old Fashioned Apple Pie
- Toll House Pie
- Turtle Pie
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes
Check out more of my easy pie recipes and the best Thanksgiving dessert recipes here on CopyKat!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups natural peanut butter
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate or tart pan.
- Bake for about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whip 1 cup heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- With a stand mixer and in another clean bowl, cream together the cream cheese, peanut butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture.
- Spoon the peanut butter mixture into the graham cracker crumb pie shell.
- Place the pan into the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour or until the pie sets.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup heavy cream until it just begins to boil.
- Add the chopped chocolate to the pan and stir until the chocolate melts completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the peanut butter pie.
- Chill the pie until the chocolate sets. This pie must be kept in the refrigerator.
Love chocolate and peanut butter – definitely need to try this one out!
The Hungry Mum
woah! This looks ten types of delish! I would love a slice (or two) right now 🙂
Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum
Oops, this pie sounds dreamy. Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my all-time favorite combinations. Yum!
oh looks fabulous! I love using tart pans for pies, makes it SO easy to cut and looks pretty to serve too.
I love this idea. It makes it so much easier to cut.
A rescees cup? Smh
It’s good stuff 😉
YUM, like a huge rescees cup.
It totally is! I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter!