Turtle Pie has a luscious creamy chocolate filling, caramel, pecans, chocolate chips, and whipped cream topping. Whenever I make a turtle pie, it is gone so quickly. Everyone seems to love this pie because it is packed full of caramel, pecans, and chocolate chips.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Is a Turtle Pie?
Don’t worry. No turtles are harmed in the making of Turtle Pie. Turtle Cream Pie is a luxurious dessert with a chocolaty, caramel cream cheese filling topped with whipped cream, chocolate chips, pecans, and even more caramel.
It is a rich, no-bake pie that is perfect whenever you don’t want to mess with the oven but want to make an impressive dessert.
Why Is It Called Turtle Pie?
The origin of the name is uncertain, with several theories floating around the internet. The most likely one is that the pie was named after the Turtle candy, a pecan and caramel cluster covered with chocolate.
Another commonly held belief, although less likely, is that name derives from the traditional crosshatching of the caramel sauce on top of the pie that resembles a turtle’s back.
What Makes This Turtle Pie Recipe One You Should Try?
Think of this recipe for chocolate Turtle Pie as a more decadent version of a Turtle Cream Pie.
This recipe starts with a pastry shell base, a departure from the more common crumb crust. It then opts for using cream cheese, an ingredient missing from most recipes for turtle pies. The cream cheese turns this recipe for Turtle Pie into more of a no-bake cheesecake than a cream pie.
Turtle Pie Ingredients
To make the filling for this no-bake turtle pie recipe, you’ll need:
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped pecans
- Caramel topping
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Whipping cream
You want a thick caramel topping that comes in a jar and is spreadable. You can always make it yourself if you can’t find something thick enough in the store.
To make the topping for this recipe, you’ll need:
- Heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped pecans
- Caramel syrup
For topping the pie, use a thinner caramel syrup in a squeeze bottle. You can also use Cool Whip instead of making whipped cream.
To assemble this chocolate Turtle Pie recipe, you’ll need:
- Pre-baked pastry shell. Or you can make and bake a homemade pastry pie crust in a pie plate.
You can use a prepared graham cracker crust if you prefer.
How to Make Turtle Pie
To prepare a Turtle Pie:
- Spread a quarter of the chocolate chips and chopped pecans on the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour the caramel topping to cover the chocolate chips and pecan pieces. You may have to heat the caramel topping for a few seconds in the microwave to allow the caramel to pour easier.
- Beat the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar with a mixer until it is light and airy.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler with the heavy cream. Stir or whisk until smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the chocolate and cream into the beaten cream cheese mixture.
- Fold and combine gently. Try not to overwork the mixture.
- Spread over the caramel at the bottom of the pie shell. Do your best to maintain separate layers.
- Beat the whipped cream until you reach stiff peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the cake.
- Garnish with chocolate chips, broken pecans, and caramel syrup. For an extra chocolatey touch, you can also drizzle it with chocolate ganache or chocolate sauce.
- Chill the pie for at least an hour before serving.
- Slice and serve.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Turtle Pie
Replace the caramel topping and caramel sauce with salted caramel versions. Try adding some broken pretzels to the top of the pie instead of the pecan pieces.
Macadamia Turtle Pie
Replace the pecans with macadamia nuts for a richer taste.
What To Serve With Turtle Pie
Serve with coffee and tea. Something hot with a bit of acidity cuts through this recipe’s richness and helps highlight the flavors of the pie.
How To Store Turtle Pie
Put the pie in a pie saver container or very cover loosely with plastic wrap and keep this pie in the fridge. Always serve this pie cold.
You can freeze this easy Turtle Pie, although it may get a little messy. Wrap the pie in aluminum foil and place it in a freezer bag.
Thaw the frozen pie in the refrigerator overnight.
How Long Does Turtle Pie Last?
The pie will last in the fridge for about four to five days. A frozen pie is good for up to a month.
Favorite Pie Recipes
- Black Bottom Pie
- Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- German Chocolate Pie
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Kool-Aid Pie
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pie
- Million Dollar Pie
- Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
Popular Chocolate Desserts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips divided use
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 baked pastry pie shell
- 1/4 cup caramel topping
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons caramel syrup
- To make the pie, sprinkle 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and the chopped pecans into a pie shell and pour the caramel topping on top.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- In a saucepan over low heat, cook and stir the cream and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips until smooth.
- Gradually add the chocolate mixture to the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
- Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the caramel, chocolate chips, and pecans in the pie shell.
- To make the topping, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the pie filling. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans and drizzle the caramel syrup on top.
- Refrigerate the pie until ready to serve.