Mexican Turkey Burgers are juicy turkey burgers with a Mexican food flair. Topped with pico de gallo, a chipotle mayonnaise, and seasoned to perfection these burgers are a good high-quality low-fat protein option.
Are you looking for new ways to prepare lean ground turkey? These juicy burgers are just the dish you will want to serve. The meat is seasoned with Taco seasoning, chopped onions are added. This burger is topped with pico de gallo and if you like you can make some quick and easy chipotle mayonnaise with these burgers.
How to make Mexican Turkey Burgers
To make sure these burgers are full of flavor and remain juicy, we are going to add chopped onions to the ground meat. The meat will be seasoned with taco seasoning. When I use homemade taco seasoning, I add salt. I like to add a bit more cumin because it adds lots of flavors and no heat. When I cook these in the pan, I add a bit of oil to the pan.
Cook the burgers to 165 degrees. These are topped with American cheese, and some pico de gallo. I also whipped up some quick and easy chipotle mayonnaise by adding a teaspoon or two of Tobasco’s Chipotle to 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
How to make a turkey burger taste good!
Turkey burgers can be dry and tasteless. There is a bit of a trick when cooking a burger made from poultry. Poultry must be cooked to 165 degrees. You can prepare delicious turkey burgers. Let’s go over some of those tips.
- Add onions or shallots to the meat – by adding something with moisture means that when the burgers are fully cooked, they will remain juicy with the addition of a mix-in like chopped onions.
- Add oil to the meat – by adding a touch of oil the dry texture will be softer and less dry when you add a bit of fat to the meat.
- Pass on the ground turkey breast – go for the ground turkey that has a bit more fat into the mix, more fat means more flavor.
- Add seasonings to the mix before cooking. You can mix in salt, pepper, curry powder, and much more.
- Toppings – top these burgers with fresh vegetables, and much more!
Building the best turkey burger
The secret to any burger is how you build one. Tips that I like to use when building the perfect burger are: toasting the bun. It takes a little bit of effort, but I put the buns toasted side up in the oven, and set it to broil. This way the buns don’t get soggy!
Adding wet toppings to either the top or bottom bun, again, this is so both buns do not get soggy while you are enjoying the burger.
Using fresh and flavorful ingredients to top your burger means you will have one delicious meal!
Love burgers? Check out these burger inspired recipes
- Your Best Backyard Burger Ever
- Cheeseburger Soup
- How to Make Stuffed Burgers
- Jack in the Box Mini Sirloin Burgers
- Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Red Onions
Here are some of my reader’s favorite recipes
Before you go, let me know how you cook up ground turkey. Do you make turkey burgers, casseroles, or perhaps you enjoy this low-fat meat in another way!
Mexican Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1/3 cup onion diced small
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Tobasco Chipotle sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- In a bowl combine ground turkey, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, and cumin. Mix until well blended.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan.
- Form 4 patties with the seasoned meat.
- Place burgers in the heated pan. They will take 5 to 6 minutes on each side. If you would like to add cheese, add the cheese a minute or two before the burger is fully cooked.
- In a small bowl combine the chipotle sauce and mayonnaise. Mix until well blended. Let rest five minutes before using.
Building the perfect turkey burger
- If you are using hamburger buns toast them by placing under a broiler and browning the buns.
- Place some Chipotle mayonnaise onto the bun, add the turkey burger, top with pico de gallo.
- Serve with steamed veggies or even re-fried beans.