Are you looking for fun way to serve dessert? These Opal Apple Pie Tacos are an amazing way to serve up these crisp and flavorful apples. Your whole family will enjoy this creative dessert.
Opal Apples have become a favorite of mine. If you haven’t tried these apples they are a unique apple that does not brown when you cut them. I love using these apples for recipes when you use these apples you don’t have to add lemon juice or citric acid to the apples to keep them from browning. These apples hold up well to cooking. They remain firm and are perfect to munch on or to use them in recipes.
What you may not know is that Opal apples are Non-GMO Project verified. They are the first U.S. apple variety to be verified by the Non-GMO Project, the only independent verification in North America for non-GMO food. So their resistance to browning makes them perfect to pack in a school lunch or to use in a fresh fruit salad without worrying if the apples are going to brown.
These Apple Pie Tacos are a great dessert to make. We start with a white tortilla that is fried, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. We fill these tacos with an cinnamon apple pie filing. We use whipped cream to top these tacos. These are a great way to serve up Opal Apples.
Opal Apple Recipes
This is a sponsored post, all opinions are my own.
Opal Apple Pie Tacos
- Taco Shells
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 cups oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Apple Pie Filling
- 4 apples cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 cup whipped cream or whipped topping
- Tortilla Shells Directions Prepare cinnamon and sugar by combining the cinnamon and sugar in a small container and mixing well. Heat oil to 350 degrees in a small skillet. Make sure oil is hot by placing a small scrap of tortilla into the oil, if it bubbles it is ready to use. Using tongs place the tortilla shell into the oil for about 5 seconds, fold in half with the tongs and fry until the bottom is golden brown, flip over and fry the other side until it is golden brown. Remove taco shell and drain on either a wire rack or paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Apple Pie Filling Directions Wash, core, and dice apples. You can leave on the skin if you desire. Place apples in a medium-sized pot and heat together with butter, brown sugar, and salt over medium heat. The apples will begin to release some of their juices as you cook them. When the apples become soft combine the water and the flour in a small dish. Stir the flour and water until it is well combined. The apple mixture will thicken. How to Assemble Divide the apples evenly between the taco shells Top with whipped cream and enjoy immediately.