This apple crumb coffee cake tastes like the one does from Dixie Lee Bakery in New Jersey. Sadly we aren’t all in the area, but we can make a similar delicious homemade coffee cake like they do.
What makes this apple coffee cake so good?
Are you looking for the perfect easy coffee cake recipe? Can I just say this breakfast delight has three different layers? The bottom layer is like a buttery soft shortbread. The apples have just the right amount of sweetness and cinnamon, and this all is topped off with a buttery crumb topping you are going to love. One bite and you are going to want to make the recipe again and again.
Make your own Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
This recipe is not difficult the different layers makes this recipe unique. The bottom layer is a shortbread-like bottom. You will combine the bottom layer and press it into the pan.
Apples are peeled and sliced. Sugar and a touch of cinnamon are added for flavor. This layer of apples will rest on the bottom layer of the coffee cake.
A buttery crumb topping is made and placed on top of the apples. This crumb topping is sweetened with sugar and flavored with cinnamon.
What types of apples should you use for baking?
Did you know that some apples are made for baking, and others are best for snacking on? Baking apples tend to hold up better to heat, and the flavors become richer in the cooking process. Here are five apples you should be reaching for when you want to bake with apples.
- Jonagold – bake up wonderfully sweet, tend to be available in the fall.
- Honeycrisp – these apples bake up firm, making them perfect for apple dumplings
- Braeburn – known for baking up juicy, not mushy.
- Winesap – intense, rich and flavorful.
- Pink Lady – the perfect combination of a crisp, sweet, and tart apple
Do you need to reach out for one of these apples to make this amazing coffee cake? No, but you will be rewarded if you do!
Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 pound soft butter
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 8 apples sliced and peeled
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 pound soft butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In the bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and egg. Add the dry ingredients and add milk. Mix well.
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan, or a 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
- Spread this dough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar when cooled.
- Mix all together in a bowl. Now, spread this mixture over the dough in the pan.
Butter Crumb Topping
- Mix the crumb topping ingredients, and spread over the apples in the pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour.