Homemade Cherry Coffee Cake is a delicious treat you can make for company or even a special weekend. It isn’t difficult at all to make a delicious homemade coffee cake, in fact, it takes just about 1 hour.
This homemade cherry coffee cake is one that I grew up enjoying. This coffee cake is so easy to make.
Homemade cherry coffee cake is a delicious treat you can make for company or even a special weekend. This is an easy coffee cake recipe to make and takes just about one hour of your time.
This homemade cherry coffee cake recipe from scratch is one that I grew up enjoying. For the cherry topping, you are going to use your favorite can of cherry pie filling. My recipe adds a wonderful streusel crumb topping for coffee cake. Every bite has the enticing flavor of cinnamon.
If you like something sweet with your morning coffee, this cherry coffee cake recipe fits the bill. It could also be served up for breakfast or as a dessert with ice cream. This coffee cake recipe is versatile, so you could use different pie fillings such as apple, blackberry, blueberry, pineapple, or whatever your favorite fruit filling is.
I love how this coffee cake not only tastes good but also adds a pop of color to the table. This cherry coffee cake keeps well in the fridge but is so tasty I guarantee it won’t stay there for long.
What Makes a Cake a Coffee Cake?
Coffee cake is a cake specially made to be eaten with a cup of coffee. In the United States, coffee cake is typically a single layer cake that may contain fruit. Coffee cakes are basically quick breads, so they are prepared with baking soda. This makes for an easy coffee cake recipe, and you can quickly whip up a delicious homemade coffee cake in no time at all.
- Did you know that coffee cakes are so popular that there’s a National Coffee Cake Day – April 7. However, you don’t have to wait until then to make one!
One of the things I like most about making a homemade coffee cake is that it gives me a chance to get in the kitchen and prepare something people would typically buy at the grocery store. I have been into a major organic food push at my house and have found that you can recreate most everything with an organic equivalent. Here’s a link for organic cherry pie fillings.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Half and half
- Canned cherry pie filling
How to Make Cherry Coffee Cake
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture alternating with milk until well combined.
- Spread batter into greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Spoon cherry pie filling over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Combine remaining flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over top of the coffee cake in the oven.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 25 minutes.
- Remove the outside ring of the pan and serve warm or at room temperature.
So enjoy this easy to make homemade Cherry Coffee Cake when you have friends over for coffee or make one this weekend!
Love coffee cake? Try these easy recipes!
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
- Cherry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Graham Cracker Coffee Cake
- Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Skillet Coffee Cake
Favorite Cherry Dessert Recipes
- Cherry Cream Cheese Pie
- Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- Cherry Mash Bars
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- Cherry Pizza
- Cherry Turnovers
- Chocolate Cherry Cobbler
Homemade Cherry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour divided use
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon divided use
- 1/2 cup butter divided into tablespoons
- 1 cup sugar divided use
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 21 ounces canned cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat 5 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar until creamy.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture alternating with milk until well combined.
- Spread batter into greased 9-inch springform pan; spoon cherry pie filling over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Streusel Crumb Topping
- Meanwhile, combine remaining flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in water.
- Sprinkle over top of the coffee cake in the oven. Bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan or wire rack for 25 minutes. Remove outside ring of pan; serve warm or at room temperature.