Homemade Cherry Coffee Cake is a delicious treat you can make for company or even a special weekend. It isn’t difficult at all to make a delicious homemade coffee cake, in fact, it takes just about 1 hour.
This homemade cherry coffee cake is one that I grew up enjoying. This coffee cake is so easy to make, for the cherry topping you are going to use your favorite can of cherry pie filling for the topping. My recipe for homemade cherry pie filling coffee cake has a wonderful streusel topping, so every bite has the wonderful flavor of cinnamon.
What makes a coffee cake a coffee cake?
Did you know that coffee cake was a cake specially made to be eaten with a cup of coffee? In the United States, this is typically a single layer cake and may contain fruit. These cakes are typically quick breads so they are prepared with baking soda. So that means you can quickly whip up a delicious homemade coffee cake in no time at all.
One of the things I like most about making a homemade coffee cake is that it gives me a chance to get in the kitchen and prepare something people would normally buy at the grocery store. I have been into a large organic food push at my house, and with the exception of the cherry pie filling, I was able to recreate most everything with an organic equivalent.
So enjoy this easy to make homemade Cherry Coffee Cake when you have friends over for coffee or make one this weekend!
Homemade Cherry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour divided use
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon divided use
- 1/2 cup butter divided into tablespoons
- 1 cup sugar divided use
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 21 ounces canned cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat 5 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar until creamy.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture alternating with milk until well combined.
- Spread batter into greased 9-inch springform pan; spoon cherry pie filling over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in water.
- Sprinkle over top of the coffee cake in the oven. Bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan or wire rack for 25 minutes. Remove outside ring of pan; serve warm or at room temperature.