The Ultimate Stove Top Pot Roast is a super easy way to prepare a beef roast. You could use a chuck roast, sirloin roast, or your favorite cut of beef.
Did you know that roast beef can be prepared on a stove top? Of course, you can always cook roast beef in the oven, or a slow cooker, electric skillet, or you can use your stove top. All of these ways will work to make one amazing roast.
When I cook a roast on the stove top, I really like to use a dutch oven. My dutch oven is a simple cast iron one. Cast iron does a great job of cooking the meat evenly. Growing up my grandparents always made a stove top pot roast. I have to say these are super easy to make.
This recipe is made very simply, you will need salt and pepper, a can of crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and brown sugar. It is quick and easy to put this recipe together, you will cover and simmer the roast the cooking time will be about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. After that time you will have tender roast beef with a sweet and savory gravy. I know you when you the lid to your cast iron dutch oven you are going to think you have the ultimate, no the perfect pot roast.
If you wanted to, during the last 45 minutes you could peel and cut a few carrots and potatoes into the pot. You are going to love this stovetop pot roast.
Looking for more ways to prepare roast beef? Be sure to check out these roast beef recipes?
The Ultimate Pot Roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetabe oil
- 4 pound chuck roast
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 ounces mushrooms 1 can
- Put some cooking oil in the bottom of a stockpot or large saucepan (one with a lid) and heat. Once the oil is hot add the pot roast. Season the chuck roast with plenty of salt and pepper. Be sure to brown well on all sides and edges as this will help keep in the juices. Once the meat has browned nicely add the onions & garlic.
- Sprinkle meat with enough salt & pepper to your desired taste on all sides. Once onions have cleared slightly, add the remaining ingredients. Stir to mix all and just taste the liquid. If it does not taste sweet enough for you add more brown sugar.
- Cover with a lid and turn heat down to medium on a propane stove and 8 on an electric. Let cook for 3- 3 1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink inside. Be sure that you turn the meat every 15 - 20 minutes and stir the sauce over the meat and around it to avoid it sticking. When finished cooking the meat will be very tender and you will have a thick but sweet chunky gravy to serve with your roast beef.