There is nothing better than a tasty beef roast. Perhaps you had these growing up as a child on Sunday afternoons, or on special holidays. You can make a delicious to die for pot roast at home that tastes just like it came from a restaurant.
This recipe is so easy to make. You really can use just about any beef roast, I personally like to use chuck roast. Add a few extra ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry, and you can put this roast together easily and quickly.
Your family will think that you worked your fingers to the bone on this delicious roast.
Hands down, this is one of my favorite roasts to make because it is completely reliable. So if you are a beginner cook or someone whose roast attempts in the past haven’t been ideal, this is your recipe.
This to die for pot roast has variations for both the Instant Pot and the slow cooker. This recipe is made for the busy cook.
You are going to use three packaged dry mixes for this roast. These three mixes will make for a very flavorful pot roast.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Beef roast
- Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- Brown gravy mix
- Italian dressing mix
You won’t need to add anything else, so I find this recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight. Serve some mashed potatoes with this flavorful pot roast and you will be in business.
How to Make Pot Roast with Ranch Seasoning
Differences between the Slow Cooker and the Instant Pot cooking methods:
- The amount of time it takes to cook the roast.
- Instant Pot method uses vegetable oil to brown the roast. Vegetable oil is not needed for the slow cooker method.
- Everything else is the same.
Instant Pot Directions
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add two tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the pot is hot add the roast.
- Sprinkle the Ranch dressing mix, Italian salad dressing mix, and brown gravy mix over the roast.
- Add water and cook for 60 minutes on the high manual setting. You may perform a quick or natural release.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the Italian salad dressing mix, brown gravy mix, and Ranch dressing mix over the roast.
- Add water and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Let me address this recipe is high on sodium. After years of searching, I have been unable to find lower-sodium alternatives. If you need to stay away from sodium, this recipe is not for you. If you want to mitigate your sodium you may want to serve this with other food that is lower in salt to even out the entire meal.
Love roast beef? Try these recipes!
- Perfect Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Pot Roast with Onion Soup Mix
- How to Cook a Roast in the Oven
- How to Cook Beef Tenderloin
- Rib Eye Roast Recipe
- Beef Shanks
- Grilled Brisket
- Pepperoncini Beef
- Stove Top Pot Roast
Best Pot Roast Side Dishes
To Die for Pot Roast
- 4 pounds roast any cut, to fit size of crock pot
- 1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 package Italian Dressing mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
Instant Pot Directions
- Instant Pot Directions Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil to the Instant Pot, set the Instant Pot to saute. When the pot is hot add the roast.
- Pour over the Italian salad dressing mix, the brown gravy mix, and the Ranch dressing mix. Pour the water into the Instant Pot.
- Cook for 60 minutes on high in the manual setting. You may perform a quick or natural release. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Slow cooker Directions
- Slow Cooker Directions Turn the slow cooker on the low setting. Place the roast in the slow cooker. Pour over the Italian salad dressing mix, the brown gravy mix, and the Ranch dressing mix. Add water to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.