There is nothing better than a tasty beef roast. Perhaps you had pot roast growing up as a child on Sunday afternoons, or on special holidays. You can make a delicious, to die for pot roast with ranch dressing in an Instant Pot or slow cooker.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
3 Packet Roast
This recipe is so easy to make. You really can use just about any beef roast, I personally like to use chuck roast. Add a few extra ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry, and you can put this roast together easily and quickly.
Your family will think that you worked your fingers to the bone on this delicious roast.
Hands down, this is one of my favorite roasts to make because it is completely reliable. So if you are a beginner cook or someone whose roast attempts in the past haven’t been ideal, this is your recipe.
This to die for pot roast has variations for both the Instant Pot and the slow cooker. This recipe is made for the busy cook.
You are going to use three packaged dry mixes for this roast. These three mixes will make for a very flavorful pot roast.
What Makes To Die For Pot Roast So Good?
Two things make To Die For Instant Pot beef roast so gosh, darn good: The flavor and the easy recipe.
If you ever made To Die For Pot Roast in a slow cooker, you already know you can’t beat the taste, but the long cooking time is a bit of a bummer. But when you cook the dish in an Instant Pot, you can get the same fantastic flavor, only much, much quicker.
Instant Pot Beef Roast Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Beef roast
- Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- Brown gravy mix
- Italian dressing mix
You won’t need to add anything else, so I find this recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight. Serve some mashed potatoes with this flavorful pot roast and you will be in business.
How to Make Pot Roast with Ranch Dressing
Differences between the Slow Cooker and the Instant Pot cooking methods:
- The amount of time it takes to cook the roast.
- Instant Pot method uses vegetable oil to brown the roast. Vegetable oil is not needed for the slow cooker method.
- Everything else is the same.
Instant Pot Directions
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add two tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the pot is hot add the roast.
- Sprinkle the Ranch dressing mix, Italian salad dressing mix, and brown gravy mix over the roast.
- Add water and cook for 60 minutes on the high manual setting. You may perform a quick or natural release.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the Italian salad dressing mix, brown gravy mix, and Ranch dressing mix over the roast.
- Add water and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
This recipe is high in sodium. After years of searching, I have been unable to find lower-sodium alternatives. If you need to stay away from sodium, this recipe is not for you. If you want to mitigate your sodium you may want to serve this with other food that is lower in salt to even out the entire meal.
How Long Does Beef Need to Cook in an Instant Pot?
Give yourself a total of around two hours from fridge to table for this recipe. It may seem like a long time, but only about 20 minutes of it is hands-on cooking.
Besides, when you compare the time to the slow cooker’s 6-plus hours, you save quite a bit of time using your Instant Pot method.
Can You Overcook Roast in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can overcook meat in an Instant Pot.
Undercooking an Instant Pot beef roast will make it tough, but so will overcooking it. The key is to find the sweet spot where the pot roast is perfectly tender. Luckily, that spot is much larger when using a pressure cooker.
The most important thing to remember if you want fork-tender and juicy meat from an Instant Pot is using natural release to allow the meat fibers to relax and reabsorb the liquid.
What Is the Most Tender Juicy Roast?
A four-pound chuck roast is just about the perfect cut for this recipe. Since the chuck roast cut comes from the hard-working shoulder of a cow, it can be pretty chewy, especially if you cook it quickly over high heat.
But when you cook chuck roast low and slow or under pressure, the collagen in the muscle breaks down, creating a rich, juicy tenderness that few other cuts of meat can offer.
How Do I Use the Roast Setting on My Instant Pot?
Brown the roast on both sides with a bit of oil using the Instant Pot’s SAUTE setting on HIGH. Once the meat develops a nice brown crust (keep in mind that it won’t color any further while cooking), go ahead and add the rest of the ingredients.
Stir everything, close the lid, and set the timer to 60 minutes on the MEAT setting. If your Instant Pot doesn’t have a MEAT preset, cook on MANUAL HIGH for 60 minutes.
Can I Cook a Roast from Frozen in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely! However, you should make two slight adjustments to the recipe.
- First, rinse the pot roast under warm water for a minute to slightly thaw the surface and pat it dry. Doing this helps the meat brown better.
- The second necessary change is to set the timer for 20 minutes longer.
What to Do with Leftover Pot Roast
You’re sure to have some leftovers, and if you don’t want to have the same meal tomorrow, you can use up any of the leftover pot roast in some very creative ways.
Try one of these ideas or come up with your own:
- A pot roast sandwich. Thinly slice the meat and heat on the stove with some beef stock or in the microwave. Mix the warm beef with horseradish sauce and pile it on a toasted bun. Top with shredded pickled carrots or coleslaw.
- Breakfast hash. Dice the roast, potatoes, and other cooked vegetables and mix them in a bowl with beef stock or water. Make thin patties, dust lightly with flour, and fry them until crispy. Serve with your favorite style of eggs.
Beef Roast in Instant Pot FAQs
What Liquid Do You Put in a Pot Roast?
Because this is a 3 packet roast with gravy, Ranch dressing, and Italian dressing dry mixes used for flavoring, water is the best option.
How Much Liquid Do You Put in a Pressure Cooker for a Roast?
A cup and a half of water will create a substantial gravy. If you want a thinner sauce, add more water after cooking to prevent throwing off the cooking time.
Why Did My Instant Pot Roast Beef Come Out Tough?
There are two reasons why your pot roast may be tough. If you followed the recipe as written, try cooking for 10 minutes longer. However, if you cooked the meat for 30 or 40 minutes longer than the recipe suggests, there isn’t much you can do to bring it back.
What Goes with Pot Roast With Ranch Dressing?
Any sides you serve with another pot roast, you can serve with this one, too. Some favorites include:
- Green Bean Casserole with Cheese
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Mac n Cheese
- Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
How to Store Leftover Pot Roast With Ranch Dressing
You can keep any extra pot roast in the fridge for three to four days. Separate the vegetables and store both in airtight containers.
Freeze the Instant Pot Pot Roast together with any vegetables in a freezer-safe container for up to six months.
How to Reheat
The ideal way to reheat this pot roast is back in the Instant Pot!
You can reheat the meat from the fridge or directly from the freezer. Feel free to add extra vegetables like carrots or onions while reheating.
- Add at least a cup of either beef stock or water, the meat, and optional fresh vegetables.
- Cook on MANUAL HIGH for 12 minutes for thawed meat or 18 minutes for frozen meat.
Love roast beef? Try these recipes!
- Perfect Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Pot Roast with Onion Soup Mix
- How to Cook a Roast in the Oven
- How to Cook Beef Tenderloin
- Rib Eye Roast Recipe
- Beef Shanks
- Grilled Brisket
- Pepperoncini Beef
- Stove Top Pot Roast
Best Side Dishes for Instant Pot Roast Beef
Instant Pot Beef Roast with Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds beef roast any cut
- 1 package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 package Italian dressing mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
Instant Pot Directions
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil to the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté.
- When the pot is hot, add the roast.
- Add the Italian salad dressing mix, brown gravy mix, and ranch dressing mix.
- Pour the water into the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high manual setting for 60 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, you may perform a quick or natural release.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Add the Italian salad dressing mix, the brown gravy mix, and the ranch dressing mix.
- Add water to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.