If you have an Instant Pot, one of the must-try recipes you should prepare is a pot roast. You can see how easy it is to prepare a perfectly cooked pot roast with this simple recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have an Instant Pot, I can imagine you want to use it and see if it is really worth all of the hype. You really can make a variety of dishes in your Instant Pot, and you can do so easily. I have made Thai Chicken Curry, Macaroni and Cheese, Beef stew, and a variety of other great recipes.
Additional reading: Should You Get An Instant Pot?
How to make a pot roast in an Instant Pot
Making a pot roast in your Instant Pot is fairly easy to do. Instead of braising it in the oven you can pressure cook one in about half of the total time.
I do something a little different than other recipes you may see online. I like to cook my vegetables after the meat is cooked. I have found that if I cook my vegetables for the same amount of the time I cook the meat for, the vegetables become soft.
I like the vegetables to be tender, so I cook a pot roast in two stages. One long cooking cycle for the meat, followed by a very short cycle for the vegetables.
My recipe is written for a 6-quart Instant Pot. If you have a larger Instant Pot you will need to increase all of your ingredients. For example, I would use a 4 to 5-pound roast, and then I would increase everything by one-third, but I would leave the time the same. Most people do purchase the 6-quart version of the Instant Pot.
This pot roast recipe is very simple. You will want a package of dry onion soup mix, tomato paste, and beef broth or stock. You may also want to add vegetables to this, I used onion, potatoes, and carrots.
If you wanted to change this you may want to add a few bay leaves, or perhaps a clove or two of garlic. To make a change in the recipe, add the spices to the initial cooking if you want a more pronounced flavor, and if you want a more delicate flavor you can add the herbs when you cook the vegetables.
I hope you give this recipe a try soon, I think you are going to be surprised at how easy it is to prepare a flavorful pot roast.
More Instant Pot recipes:
- How to Make Popcorn in an Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- Instant Pot Apple Cider Pork Loin
Instant Pot - Pot Roast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pound roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock beef broth is ok
- 1 large white onion cut into large chunks
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup carrots
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil, and then lightly salt both sides of the roast. Brown both sides of the roast, it should take about 6 to 7 minutes per side to brown the roast.
- Then add 1 package dry onion soup mix, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, and 2 cups of beef broth or stock. Set your Instant Pot to high pressure (it defaults to high), for 60 minutes.
- After the pressure cooker has finished processing, perform a quick release. Add onions, potatoes, and carrots.
- Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 4 minutes. After this cooking cycle you may perform a quick release.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- If desired you can add a package of dry onion soup mix to the roast for an extra layer of flavor.
- Consider using root vegetables like parsnips and rutabagas for variety.