If you have an Instant Pot, one of the must-try recipes you should prepare is a pot roast. You can see how easy it is to prepare a perfectly cooked pot roast with this simple recipe.
If you have an Instant Pot, I can imagine you want to use it and see if it is really worth all of the hype. You really can make a variety of dishes in your Instant Pot, and you can do so easily. I have made dishes like Thai Chicken Curry, Macaroni and Cheese, and Beef stew and a variety of other great recipes.
How to make a pot roast in an Instant Pot
Making a pot roast in your Instant Pot is fairly easy to do to. Instead of braising it in the oven you can pressure cook one in about half of the total time. I do something a little different than other recipes you may see online. I like to cook my vegetables after the meat is cooked. I have found that if I cook my vegetables for the same amount of the time I cook the meat for, the vegetables become soft. I like the vegetables to be tender, so I cook a pot roast in two stages. One long cooking cycle for the meat, followed by a very short cycle for the vegetables.
My recipe is written for a 6-quart Instant Pot. If you have a larger Instant Pot you will need to increase all of your ingredients. For example, I would use a 4 to 5-pound roast, and then I would increase everything by one-third, but I would leave the time the same. Most people do purchase the 6 quart version of the Instant Pot.
This pot roast recipe is very simple. You will want a package of dry onion soup mix, tomato paste, and beef broth or stock. You may also want to add vegetables to this, I used onion, potatoes, and carrots. If you wanted to change this you may want to add a few bay leaves, or perhaps a clove or two of garlic. To make a change in the recipe, add the spices to the initial cooking if you want a more pronounced flavor, and if you want a more delicate flavor you can add the herbs when you cook the vegetables.
I hope you give this recipe a try soon, I think you are going to be surprised at how easy it is to prepare a flavorful pot roast.
Instant Pot - Pot Roast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pound roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock beef broth is ok
- 1 large white onion cut into large chunks
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup carrots
- Set your Instant Pot to saute. Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil, and then lightly salt both sides of the roast. Brown both sides of the roast, it should take about 6 to 7 minutes per side to brown the roast.
- Then add 1 package dry onion soup mix, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, and 2 cups of beef broth or stock. Set your Instant Pot to high pressure (it defaults to high), for 60 minutes.
- After the pressure cooker has finished processing, perform a quick release. Add onions, potatoes, and carrots.
- Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 4 minutes. After this cooking cycle you may perform a quick release.
Recipe Tips for the Cook
- If desired you can add a package of dry onion soup mix to the roast for an extra layer of flavor.
- Consider using root vegetables like parsnips and rutabagas for variety.