Treebeards is located in Houston, Texas and serves delicious red beans and rice with sausage. They are only open on weekdays, so don’t try to go there on the weekend! You can make their red beans at home and enjoy this classic Southern dish anytime.
Treebeards Red Beans Ingredients
What you need to make this dish:
- Dry Red Beans
- Bell Pepper
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Oregano
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Bay Leaves
- Smoked Sausage
Soak the beans overnight. Then slowly simmer with the remaining ingredients until fully cooked and delicious.
Love Southern food? Try these recipes
- Southern Chicken Fried Steak
- Sweet Tomatoes Southern Dill Potato Salad
- Easy Oven Baked Cheesy Creamed Corn
- Cracker Barrel Banana Pudding
- Treebeards Buttercake
Treebeards Red Beans
- 1 pound dried Light Red Kidney Beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teapoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound Smoked Sausage , cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Wash beans under cold, running water. Place in a heavy 5 quart pot. Cover with 2 quarts water. Let beans soak overnight. Or, cover beans with 2 quarts water, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit 1 hour before continuing. Do not drain off water.
- Two hours before serving, add chopped onions, celery, and bell pepper to beans. With a spoon, gently push vegetables below the water line. Cover pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. In a small bowl, mix all spices except bay leaves. Sprinkle on top of beans. Add bay leaves.
- Add sausage to pot and very gently stir spices and sausage into beans; do not stir more than necessary. Cover and let simmer at least 30 minutes or until beans are completely soft. Serve over hot rice with shredded cheddar cheese, and plenty of chopped green onions, if desired. Serves 6.