Cherry Devil’s food cake is the perfect combination of cherries and chocolate. When you top this decadent cake with cream cheese frosting you will have a dessert everyone will love.
Are you looking for a new way to prepare a boxed cake mix? When I am not making a cake from scratch, I like to add a little something extra to a box of cake mix. When I do this, I feel like I upgraded an ordinary cake mix into something more.
Why this Cherry Devil’s Food Cake tastes so good
This cake is unique, the delicious combination of rich dark chocolate and cherry pie filling is like biting into chocolate dipped cherries. This cake is super moist and is so easy to make. Sour cream replaces the oil that is normally called for on the box of cake mix. The sour cream adds a rich flavor that only compliments this dark chocolate cake.
This recipe came from my Grandmother, and it was always super popular around her house. It’s been popular in my house too! I recently served this cake, and a couple of people went back for a second piece of cake the last time it was served. So I know you are going to love this take on the chocolate cake.
Do you have questions about Cake Pan Sizes? Be sure to check out my handy pan size conversion chart.
Cherry Devil's Food Cake
Cherry Devil's Food Cake Ingredients
- 1 package Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 21 ounce can Cherry Pie Filling
Cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Cherry Devil's Food Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cake mix, flour, sour cream, eggs, and almond extract and pie filling by hand.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Cool before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine butter and cream cheese into a bowl. Mix with a mixer until well blended.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar a small amount at a time. When all sugar is combined, frost the cake.
- You can top with chocolate frosting if desired.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
- This cake also tastes good when you use sour cherries.