Pistachio Cake is a delicious cake recipe that I enjoyed while growing up. You use a boxed cake mix and add some additional ingredients to this and you have a wonderfully fresh tasting pistachio cake. My grandmother McDowell was often made pistachio cake when I went to go visit her. You can prepare this as a double layered cake or even in a 13 x 9-inch pan. Both are equally as good. I hope you enjoy this classic cake recipe that I have enjoyed for so many years.
This pistachio cake has been a favorite around my family for a long, long, time. We have often made this cake for St. Patricks Day, because of the color, but we it’s so good we make it often.
This cake is made with a couple of boxes of pudding mix. The pudding mix makes the cake extra moist, it also adds a really nice subtle hint of pistachio. This recipe was originally made with a different size of cake mix, cake mixes used to be 18 ounces, and now they are 15.25 ounces, so I adjust this recipe by adding 5 tablespoons of flour. We don’t need to worry about extra leavening agents because of the 4 eggs in this recipe.
This recipe also uses an ingredient you may not have tried before. Dream Whip is a powder that is mixed with milk and vanilla to make a whipped dessert topping. Dream whip has a flavor that isn’t too strong that it will overpower the pistachio flavor of the pudding. You can find Dream Whip in the baking section of most grocery stores.
This cake must be refrigerated because of the delicate frosting. This isn’t the type of cake you can leave on your countertop. I feel it really helps to give the cake that extra bit of panache. The flavor is unique, and the cool refreshing cake really hits the spot.
I hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family has over the years.
This blog post contains an affiliate link
Love Cake? Check out these cake recipes
- 15.25 ounces cake mix white or yellow
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 package (4 serving size) pistachio instant pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup club soda or water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 cups milk cold
- 1 envelope Dream Whip
- 1 package 4 serving size of instant pistachio pudding mix
- Combine all ingredients in large mixer bowl. Blend, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and frost. (You can use 2 9-inch rounds for this cake as well.)
- Pour the milk into a deep bowl. Add the Dream Whip and the pistachio pudding mix. Beat slowly to blend. Gradually increase speed until mixture forms peaks. Spread on cake.