Air fryer baked potatoes are the perfect side dish to add to any meal. They are easy to make, only require 3 ingredients, and free up your oven.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are new to using your air fryer, this is a great beginner recipe for you to try. Grab the butter and let me show you how to make these easy air fryer baked potatoes.
One of the first things that I made when I got my air fryer was baked potatoes. If it truly could replace my oven for smaller meals, I wanted to make sure it made a good baked potato.
I am so glad that I tried my air fryer for the potatoes, because it was so easy! I’m not sure if I will make them any other way from now on.
What are air fryer baked potatoes?
This is a simple recipe that takes a classic side dish and uses an air fryer instead of an oven or microwave. Air fryers are really small convection ovens that the air is very hot and it circulates that it browns most anything on the outside. These potatoes come out perfectly tender and ready for butter, cheese, bacon, chives, or your favorite potato toppings.
To make a basic baked potato you will need:
- Olive oil
How to Make Baked Potatoes in an Air Fryer
- Scrub potatoes to remove any dirt on them.
- Place potatoes in a bowl.
- Pour in the olive oil and the salt.
- Toss potatoes to coat them with olive oil and salt.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, turning potatoes over halfway through cooking.
- Remove potatoes from the air fryer and cut them lengthwise.
- Top with butter.
- Add your choice of toppings and enjoy!
Air Fryer Baked Potato Toppings
Wondering what to put on your air fried baked potato? Here are some topping ideas:
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
These are just suggestions on toppings to add. Feel free to add your favorite ones to your loaded air fryer baked potatoes!
I have tried many different types of air fryers over the years. Now, which model is best for you? May depend upon the size of your kitchen. I personally love the Phillips Air Fryer, it is good for smaller quantities and smaller families. You can serve 1 to 2 people with this machine. I love it for fries or anything I want to crisp up. It has a basin in there, and I will sometimes add a bit of oil and allow that to help crisp up the fries.
I also really like my Breville Smart Oven, but it is an investment, it works as an air fryer, an oven, a toaster, it proofs bread for you, and much more. The Breville is an appliance you can use every day because it can do many things.
Baked Potatoes Frequently Asked Questions
Russets work best for baked potatoes. I like to find the biggest ones that are available so I can make giant loaded baked potatoes in my air fryer.
Yes, it’s best to wash your potatoes before you air fry them. This removes any dirt or debris from the skin.
No, you don’t need to prick your potatoes before you add them to the air fryer. You can, if you’d like, but it doesn’t affect cooking at all. Potatoes explode only when they are overcooked.
The cooking time depends on the size of the potato. It can range between 30 to 50 minutes.
What Goes Well with Baked Potatoes for Dinner
Here are some of my favorite dishes to eat with air fryer baked potatoes:
- Baked Cream Corn
- Baked White Fish
- Green Bean Bundles
- Olive Garden Salad
- Oven Roasted Chuck Roast
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Stovetop Pot Roast
- Zuppa Soup
More Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for ideas of food to cook in your air fryer? Try these:
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Avocado Fries made in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tempura
- Garlic Buffalo Wings
- Homemade Croutons
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- 4 Russet potatoes large
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- air fryer
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Wash potatoes, and pat them dry.
- Place potatoes in a bowl and coat with olive oil. Place potatoes into the basket of the air fryer.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Flip after 20 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- After the final 20 minutes of cooking remove them from the air fryer. Allow them to cook slightly before cutting into them.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.