This is the recipe I used to help earn my Girl Scout Cooking Badge. Nut brittles don’t need to be purchased from a store, you can make them at home, best of all you can choose what nuts you use, be sure to use raw nuts. If you use nuts that are roasted they will burn during the cooking process.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds or peanuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, salt, and butter in a large saucepan. Cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
- Cover the pan for one minute to remove any sugar crystals from the side of pan.
- Uncover the pan, insert a candy thermometer, and cook until the mixture reaches the soft crack stage. Remove from the heat.
- Add the almonds or peanuts, and return to the heat until it reaches the hard crack stage. Remove from the heat.
- Add the baking soda, and mix well. Let the foam settle just a little before spreading on a well-buttered cookie sheet.