This Brown Derby Cobb Salad copycat recipe is a wonderful take on the famous Hollywood Brown Derby Cobb salad. This Cobb Salad ingredients include bacon, avocado, fresh crisp lettuce, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, and a special dressing.
Original Cobb Salad Recipe
The Cobb salad originated at the Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, CA. The owner’s name was Robert Cobb.
This salad was made with chopped Romaine and iceberg lettuce, crisp bacon, hard-boiled egg, tomato, chives, chicken breast, Roquefort cheese, and avocado. It was topped with a homemade French dressing made at the restaurant.
This salad became known as the Brown Derby Cobb Salad all across the country and beyond.
Difference between Cobb Salad and Chef Salad
There is just a slight difference between a traditional cobb salad and a chef salad. Both salads feature lettuce, cheese, bacon, chicken breast, ham, and hard-boiled eggs. But a Cobb Salad also includes both Romaine and iceberg lettuce plus avocados and tomatoes.
Cobb Salad Ingredients
What everyone loves about a cobb salad is the ingredients never change.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Romaine Lettuce
- Curly Endive
- Chicken Breast
- Hard-boiled Egg
- Roquefort Cheese
- Brown Derby French Dressing
How to Make Brown Derby Cobb Salad
- Chop iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, watercress, and endive, into small pieces.
- Toss the salad greens together in a large bowl.
- Arrange the chives, tomatoes, chicken, bacon, avocado, eggs, and cheese in rows on top of the greens.
- Pour the French dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- The chicken can be boiled, roasted, or grilled. Do not use fried chicken because it doesn’t work well in this salad.
- Roquefort cheese is a must. You can substitute another blue cheese or gorgonzola if you cannot find Roquefort.
- For a low-carb and keto-friendly version, use blue cheese dressing instead of French dressing.
- To prepare the salad ahead of time, put it together without the dressing. Cover and refrigerate it until serving. Add the dressing and toss the salad right before you eat it.
Favorite Salad Recipes
- Brussel Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Cucumber Onion Salad
- Green Goddess Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Wedge Salad
- Wendy’s Strawberry Salad
- Wendy’s Apple Pecan Salad
Popular Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Olive Garden Salad
- Olive Garden Soup
- Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls
- Unos Pizza
What is your favorite type of salad? Let us know in the comments below or add a salad you would like us to try and make.
Brown Derby Cobb Salad
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 bunch watercress
- 1 small bunch curly endive
- 2 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 4 ounces chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 6 slices bacon cooked and diced
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 3 hard-boiled egg peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Roquefort cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup French Dressing
- Chop the iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, watercress, and endive, into very fine pieces.
- Mix the salad greens together in a large wide bowl.
- Arrange chives, tomatoes, chicken, bacon, avocado, eggs, and cheese in rows over the greens.
- When serving, pour French dressing over the salad and toss to combine.