Girl Scout S’mores are delicious cookies with all the yumminess of the treats. There’s no need to get cookies from the Girl Scouts when you can make these chocolate-covered marshmallow-filled graham cracker cookies at home.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes Girl Scout S’mores Cookies So Unique?
Out of all the Girl Scout cookies S’mores may not be the most popular, but they have the longest history. Back in 1927, the first published recipe for the famous graham cracker, chocolate, and hot, toasted marshmallows sandwich appeared as “Some More” in the Girl Scouts’ guidebook.
Despite enormous changes in the world since then, the recipe for S’mores has pretty much remained the same; and so has their popularity as the quintessential campfire treat.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Believe it or not, there are two different versions of Girl Scout S’mores. Depending on where you live, the Girl Scout S’mores you buy may look similar to the traditional campfire S’mores: marshmallow and chocolate sandwiched between two graham crackers.
The other version, the version this recipe is based on, has a layer of marshmallow creme sandwiched between two graham crackers and a coating of milk chocolate. While both versions are delicious, the chocolate-dipped ones are often preferred because they have a better balance of flavors.
Copycat S’mores Girl Scout Cookies Ingredients
For these cookies, you’ll need:
- Graham crackers
- Marshmallow creme
- Chocolate melting wafers
- Vegetable oil
Marshmallow creme is a spread made to simulate the flavor and texture of melted marshmallows. The most popular version is Marshmallow Fluff, but there are other options. Or, you can always make your own.
Chocolate melting wafers are the easiest to use in this recipe, but you can also use other forms of chocolate. Using milk chocolate in S’mores is traditional, but feel free to experiment with dark or even white chocolate instead.
How to Make Girl Scout Cookie S’mores
To prepare the marshmallow sandwich cookies:
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread half of a graham cracker square with the marshmallow creme.
- Place another graham cracker square on top to make a sandwich, and put it on the parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining graham crackers.
- Put the baking tray in the fridge for an hour to set.
- About five minutes before removing the baking tray from the oven, start melting the chocolate.
To dip in chocolate:
- Place the chocolate melting wafers in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave at 50 percent power for one minute.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave, stir, and add the vegetable oil. Stir again to combine.
- Return the bowl to the microwave and heat for 30 seconds at 50 percent power. Stir. Continue heating and stirring in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is smooth.
- Use a chocolate dipping fork or a table fork to dip the cookies in the melted chocolate. Dunk the cookie entirely in the chocolate and allow it to drain before placing it back on the wax paper-lined baking tray
- Repeat with the remaining cookies. Work quickly, but you may need to reheat the chocolate in the microwave.
- Allow the dipped cookies to harden in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
What Can You Serve With S’mores Cookies?
A cold glass of milk is always welcomed, as is a cup of coffee or tea.
How to Store the Girl Scout Cookies
These homemade Girl Scout S’mores should stay in the fridge or freezer to prevent the chocolate from melting. Space out the cookies in a flat, airtight container and place a sheet of waxed paper between each layer to stop them from sticking to each other.
How Long Will They Last
Keep the cookies for up to a week in the fridge or for about two months in the freezer.
More Girl Scout Cookie Recipes
Favorite Cookie Recipes
- Cake Mix Cookies with Butter
- Cranberry Cookies
- Cream Cheese Cookie
- Grandmas Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Pecan Sandies Cookies
Popular Chocolate Desserts and Treats
Girl Scout S’mores
- 12 graham crackers broken in half to make 24 squares
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 1 11-ounce bag chocolate melting wafers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 12 graham cracker squares on the parchment paper.
- Cover each graham cracker square with marshmallow cream, spreading evenly with a butter knife. Be sure to coat the entire surface.
- Top each cookie with the second graham cracker square, placing it evenly on top to match the bottom. You will want to gently press the top graham cracker square down slightly to adhere to the marshmallow cream. Do this for each cookie, making sure they do not touch.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and allow it to chill for one hour.
- Near the end of the chill time, begin to prepare your melting chocolate.
- Add the chocolate wafers to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute.
- When done, stir well and add the vegetable oil. Microwave on 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is silky smooth.
- Using two forks or dipping tools, dip each cookie into the melted chocolate, covering it completely before placing it back on the baking sheet.
- Repeat this process, working one cookie at a time.
- When all cookies are covered in chocolate, place them back inside the refrigerator for 1 hour.