Borscht is a wonderful soup filled with carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and beets. This is perfect to make to warm the soul during the winter. We love to serve this soup with a dollup on sour cream on top. Thank you to Natasha at Natasha’s cafe for donating this recipe.
Natasha’s Cafe Borscht
Natasha’s Cafe Borscht – make this hearty soup anytime.
- 4 quarts water
- 2 onions cut into thin strips
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds cabbage cut into 7 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 pounds shredded beets
- white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mashed garlic
- salt to taste
- Bring water to a boil. Add potatoes, parsley and salt. In a separate deep pan, saute onions until transparent. Add beets, carrots, and vinegar in this pan and cook until soft. Add to water with potatoes and parsley, then add cabbage. Turn off heat, add garlic, add salt if necessary. When re-heating do not boil or the bright red color will be lost.