So you might be asking what is Instant Pot beef stew. The Instant Pot is a pot that functions as a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a rice cooker, it makes congee and more, and how does it work? It works brilliantly.
I was looking to replace my pressure cooker with something that could multi-task. I found it. No, this isn’t a paid endorsement. It is someone that is triumphal with the results. I have made several recipes this weekend with it, and I have been happy with all of them. If you know me, you know I can’t make rice on the stove top. I try, I fail. So the rice in here is cooked very well, and it does so much more quickly than in my rice cooker.
Tonight, I had to cook a roast. I often go grocery shopping before the weekend starts and Sunday night I am often cooking things for the week. This week it was stew. I made beef stew tonight that was excellent, and honestly some of the best that I have ever made. In about an hour I had beef that was so tender you could break it apart easily with a fork.
Tonight’s inspiration was from my father’s parents. They cooked directly, letting food’s natural flavors come through. So tonight’s pressure cooked stew was beef, potatoes, onions, carrots, a little garlic powder, salt, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and smoked paprika, and that was all. What I ended up with was a savory stew that I will enjoy for this week.
I did pressure cook my stew twice. The first time through it was simply salt, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. I wanted the meat to have a head start on the vegetables, so I put them in first. I cooked these for 15 minutes, and then I put in the veggies and cooked for 30 minutes. What I ended up with was a flavorful stew that you would have thought was on the stove top for an afternoon.
What I like about using the Instant Pot it is that is a safe, easy way to pressure cook. The flavors stay trapped within the liquid, so you get a nice flavorful stew. This stew cooks quickly, and the pressure cooker is relatively silent when in operation. It will even switch to a warm mode once the food is cooked. I browned my meat right in the pot, then put on the lid, set the timer and walked away until it beeped. Brilliant. This is the working person dream.
Want to see more about the Instant Pot? Read my article about Should You Buy An Instant Pot
Instant Pot IP-LUX50 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 5.28qt, Latest 3rd Generation Technology, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior
If you are still wondering if you should get an Instant Pot you can read my blog post about Should You Get an Instant Pot?
Instant Pot Beef Stew
You can make the post amazing Instant Pot Beef Stew.
- 2 1/2 pounds chuck roast cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 ounces chicken stock
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 pounds potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Brown bite-sized pieces of roast in the Instant Pot on saute in vegetable oil. Salt meat while browning. Once the meat has browned add tomato sauce, and chicken stock. Cook the meat on the manual high setting for 30 minutes. Perform a quick release. Then add the garlic powder, smoked paprika, , vegetables and cook on the manual setting for 4 minutes.When the stew finishes you can either perform a quick release or a manual release.