Captain D’s Hush Puppies have been a long-requested recipe. Now you can recreate this Captain Ds menu item at home with this copycat recipe.
Captain D’s is one of my guilty pleasures. There is just something about fried fish that is so hard to resist. I love Captain Ds. It is one of my favorite fried fish places to frequent.
Captain D’s Fish is simply scrumptious, crunchy on the outside, and the fish is cooked perfectly on the inside. So we might as well continue to round out that lovely combo plate with the addition of their hush puppies.
Homemade hush puppies are very easy to make. If you are making batter-dipped fish, why not fry up a few hush puppies? They are simply fried bread made with cornmeal batter.
Hush puppy ingredients are super common, so you won’t have to run out to the grocery store to get what you need for this recipe. But just in case…
Table of Contents
Captain D’s Hush Puppy Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need to make hush puppies like Captain D’s:
- Self-rising white cornmeal mix
- Yellow cornmeal
- White onion
- Vegetable oil for frying
Although you may need to get some self-rising cornmeal. I thought it gave the best results when making the hush puppies.
I sometimes prefer to buy self-rising cornmeal instead of making it from scratch. I find it rises more and that is what I want in this recipe.
No one likes hush puppies that are hard and could be used as a weapon against badly-behaved dinner guests.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Oil for Deep Frying
Sometimes people ask me what type of oil should they used when they fry. I honestly use plain vegetable oil. Often it is soybean oil.
The brand I usually buy is Kirkland from Costco. You could use peanut oil, or corn oil, it is up to you. But when I weigh out expense versus results, plain vegetable oil works for me when frying.
I will suggest that you cook at 350 degrees. You may want to use a deep fryer like my T-Fal Fryer because it works great. I love this fryer because I can filter the oil and use it again. It makes cleaning a snap too.
How to Make Hush Puppies
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together white cornmeal mix, yellow cornmeal, buttermilk, sugar, onion, and salt.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop the batter into the hot oil.
- Fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Fry only a few at a time for best results.
- Drain fried hush puppies on a wire rack.
What to Serve with Hush Puppies
You might wonder what you would serve your hush puppies with. You don’t have to serve them with anything. You can use some sweet chili sauce if you like.
Captain Ds has a wonderful sweet chili sauce that is much like the sweet chili sauce you will find in the Asian section of your grocery store.
Popular Fast Food Recipes
- Auntie Annies Pretzels
- Chick Fil A Nuggets Recipe
- Chipotle Barbacoa Recipe
- Culver’s Butter Burger
- Dairy Queen Orange Julius
- McDonalds Big Mac
- McDonald’s McFlurry (Oreo)
- Panda Express Noodles
- Taco Bell Potato
- Wendys Breakfast Sandwich
Captain Ds Hush Puppies
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour enough oil into a deep fryer or heavy bottomed pot so the depth is 3 to 4 inches.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the white cornmeal mix, yellow cornmeal, buttermilk, sugar, diced onion, and salt.
- Use a 1-ounce cookie scoop to drop portions of the batter into the hot oil. Fry only a few at a time for best results. If you add too many at once, the oil temperature may drop, and they make not cook well.
- Fry the hush puppies for 1 to 2 minutes, until browned.
- Transfer the fried hush puppies to a wire rack to drain.