Cheddars Monte Cristo Sandwich is a great sandwich that so many of us love. This deep-fried sandwich isn’t for the faint of heart.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Monte Cristo sandwich isn’t that difficult to make and it can be a wonderful treat to have occasionally. My local Cheddars can have up to a 90-minute wait on a very busy day. So sometimes I will make my own copycat recipe instead of going out.
A Monte Cristo has its origin in the Croque Monsieur in the sense it is a ham and cheese sandwich that is cooked.
In the South, this sandwich is battered and deep-fried. I personally love this hot sandwich. It is warm, crunchy, crispy, and you can even sprinkle it will powdered sugar. Some people enjoy their Monte Cristo with raspberry preserves.
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Bread slices
- Smoked turkey slices
- Ham slices
- American cheese slices
- Monterey Jack cheese slices
- Pancake mix
- Powdered sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
How to Make Cheddar’s Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Make two sandwiches with smoked turkey, ham, American cheese, and Monterey jack cheese.
- Wrap the sandwiches snuggly with plastic wrap.
- Place the sandwich in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat oil to about 320 degrees.
- Prepare pancake batter according to the package instructions.
- Gently unwrap the sandwiches and dip them into the batter.
- Place the battered sandwich in hot oil and cook until golden, flipping as needed so both sides brown evenly.
- Place the sandwich on a wire rack to drain.
- Cut the sandwich in half and dust with powdered sugar.
Make the sandwiches ahead of time, and then wrap them with a bit of plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator. I think this really helps to bind the sandwich together before you batter it. The sandwich will bind together when you take this extra step.
Use your favorite pancake batter to dip the sandwiches in. My personal favorite is the Krustez brand. You just need to add water, and you are in business. I hope you enjoy this classic Monte Cristo sandwich!
Use a deep fryer. I recommend the T-fal FR4049 Family Pro 3-Liter Oil Capacity Electric Deep Fryer with Stainless Steel Waffle, 2.6-Pound, Silver to fry these sandwiches. I can get in two triangles at once. Best of all it keeps the temperature at a nice even heat, and it will allow me to strain the oil so I can reuse it again.
Love Cheddars? Try these copycat recipes!
Popular Sandwich Recipes
- Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich
- Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich
- Arby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Panera Steak Sandwich
- Hot Turkey Sandwich
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich
- Frisco Sandwich
- Starbucks Breakfast Sandwich
- Baconator Breakfast Sandwich
Cheddars Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices smoked turkey
- 4 slices ham
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups prepared pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- The Prep Make the sandwiches ahead of time. Make two sandwiches with 2 slices of smoked turkey, 2 slices of ham, and one slice of American cheese, and one slice of Monterey jack cheese. Wrap the sandwiches individually snuggly with plastic wrap. Place the sandwich in the refrigerator for at least one hour. You may want to do this overnight.
- Preheat oil to about 320 degrees. Use you favorite pancake batter, make enough batter to prepare about six 4-inch pancakes. Gently unwrap the sandwiches and dip into the batter. Place the battered sandwich in hot oil and cook until golden. If you need to be sure to flip the sandwich over so both sides brown evenly. Place the sandwich on a wire rack to drain. Allow the sandwich to rest for about 1 minute, then cut the sandwich, and dust with powdered sugar if desired.