Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are soft, chewy, and incredibly delicious. Simple chocolate cake mix cookies are baked then filled with creamy vanilla frosting.
These chocolate sandwich cookies with vanilla frosting as a filling will become a favorite family treat. A little bit like cake, a little bit like cookie, these cake mix cookie sandwiches make scrumptious desserts that are also super easy to make.
You’ll need one box of chocolate cake mix, three eggs, some vegetable oil, and vanilla. With this easy sandwich cookie recipe, you don’t even need to make the frosting – store-bought frosting makes cookie making so easy.
- Tip: Click here for some ways to make your store-bought frosting taste better and how to add color.
Sandwich cookies are a bit fancier than your average cookie but not fancier to make. Making cookies with cake mix cuts your preparation time; these cookies come together quickly. In no time at all, you can be enjoying these!
Cake mix cookie sandwiches are a neater alternative to cupcakes. Now, I love cupcakes, but they are a bit messier. These sandwich cookies give the taste of a cupcake without ending up in a crumbly mess.
These sandwich cookies are made with cake mix, which is the easiest way to make cookies ever. Every time I make cookies with cake mix, I wonder why I don’t do this more often – they’re so tasty. These are big, chewy, fudgy cookies. Super easy, and everyone loves them.
Variations – make seasonal versions of chocolate sandwich cookies
One thing I love about sandwich cookies is their versatility. This sandwich cookie recipe works with any flavor of cake mix, and it’s easy to vary the filling. For instance, go for a butterscotch or buttercream filling, peanut butter frosting, or use strawberry cake mix and lemon frosting. These cookies are also fun for any holiday or celebration because you can color the filling to suit any occasion:
- Think green for St. Patrick’s Day.
- Pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Week – take your cookies to a fundraiser.
- Roll the sides in sprinkles of red, white, and blue for the Fourth of July.
- These would be so cute for a kid’s birthday party, a baby or wedding shower, or anything worth celebrating with your fellow cookie (and sprinkle) lovers!
- Tip: Click here for the best way to color icing.
You’ll absolutely adore these sandwich cookies and keep returning to them for life’s special occasions… or just when you like treating yourself as special!
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Chocolate cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Canned vanilla frosting
How to Make Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Place cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to beat for 1 minute until combined.
- Pour the batter into a gallon-size zip-top plastic bag and seal shut.
- Cut a corner of the bag to about ½-inch opening.
- Pipe batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in 2 to 2½-inch circles keeping them 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Spread frosting onto one cookie.
- Gently press another cookie on top.
- Repeat until all cookies are filled.
- Store cookies with wax paper between layers and loosely covered.
Make these chocolate sandwich cookies with different fillings instead of vanilla:
- Chocolate Frosting for double chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Cream Cheese Frosting for chocolate cream cheese sandwich cookies.
- Mint Frosting for chocolate mint sandwich cookies. Just stir some peppermint flavoring into the vanilla frosting. Perfect for Christmas!
- Peanut Butter Frosting for chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies.
- Strawberry Frosting for chocolate strawberry sandwich cookies. Great for Valentine’s Day!
Love homemade cookies and bars? Try these easy recipes!
- Almond Cookie Recipe
- Cake Mix Cookies with Butter
- Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- Cream Cheese Cookies
- Diabetic Cookies
- Fudge Jumbles
- Hershey Chocolate Brownie
- Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pineapple Cookies
- Red Velvet Brownies
Favorite Chocolate Desserts
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix 15.5 ounces
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces canned frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour batter into a gallon size resealable plastic bag and seal shut. Cut a corner of the bag to about 1/2" opening.
- Pipe batter onto baking sheet in 2 to 2-1/2" circles, keeping them 2" apart. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool on pan for 2 minutes before removing the pan and cooling completely on a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are cool, pair the same size cookies together. Spread frosting onto one cookie and gently press another cookie on top. Repeat until all cookies are filled.
- Store cookies, with wax paper between layers, loosely covered.