This recipe is from Maida Heatter’s Book of Great American Desserts. She is known for delicious desserts. Why use a box mix when you can make this one so easily?
Box mixes are handy and make it easy to put together a quick batch of delicious brownies. I will use boxes mixes from time to time, but I really prefer making brownies from scratch. You eliminate the preservatives, and you end up with a much better flavor. I bet you have the ingredients you need already in your pantry.
These brownies are creamy and soft. You will love to make up a batch of these simple brownies. You can add nuts if you desire. I like to add nuts to the brownies. I have used all sorts of brownies, I have used almonds, pecans, and walnuts. I hope you give this recipe a try.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa (Hershey's)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts , broken into pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8" square pan with foil and butter the foil.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Melt butter in a 10 - 12 cup saucepan over moderate heat.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla, and add eggs one at a time. It is best to crack all of the eggs before quickly adding in the eggs.
- Remove the pan from the stove, allow the heated mixture to cool for five minutes. Stir the eggs in rapidly so they don't cook.
- Stir in dry ingredients, and stir in nuts. Spread smoothly in prepared pan. Bake 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center just barely comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes. Cover with rack and turn pan over. Remove pan and foil lining. Cover with a cutting board and turn back over again. Let stand until cool.