I love this easy lemon bar recipe. Around the office where I work we all love when someone brings in lemon bars. They are gone shortly after they are set out. I promise these are easy to make from scratch.
If you have never tried lemon bars before they are a creamy, sweet, and tart dessert. I love these. While they may seem mysterious they are not difficult to make at all. In fact, I think that if people knew how easy they were to make, you would see many more served up everywhere.
Lemon bars have a few simple ingredients in them. You will need white granulated sugar, lemon juice, flour, butter, eggs, a bit of vanilla, and salt. I personally will juice my lemons just before making this, but if you only have bottled lemon juice on hand, it will work ok. Bottled lemon juice isn’t my preference, but when I have been juicing lemons and come up short I have found the bottled juice to be helpful.
I urge you to use butter for this lemon bar recipe, I think butter really helps to bring a rich depth of flavor that you will fall in love with. You may also want to garnish your lemon bars with a heavy sprinkling of powdered sugar. The powdered sugar makes them look pretty.
I like to keep my lemon bars in the refrigerator after they have cooled. They are a little delicate. So be sure to keep yours in the refrigerator if you happen to have them left over after your initial serving. I find that they will stay fresh in for about 3 to 4 days, but you know, they will never last that long.
I really like to use a Amco Enameled Aluminum Lemon Squeezer to juice my lemons. It makes it very easy to juice lemons. I think this tool is easier to use than the old style juices where you push down the fruit over a knob. I have been using one of these juicers for a long time.
Please note there is an affiliate link in this post, affiliate links help support the blog. I may receive a small commission on this item.
Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
- 8 ounces butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together 1/2 pound of butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 2 cups of flour. When the mixture is crumbly press into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Press dough out evenly so that it has a uniform height through out the pan. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, and remove from the oven.
- In a bowl mix together 6 eggs, 3 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup flour, vanilla, and salt. Mix until the filling is uniform in texture, and pour over the cooked shortbread cookie crust. Bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes. Allow this to cool to room temperature before dusting with powdered sugar. Be sure to refrigerate these cookies when not being served.