Chocolate melting cake soon became a favorite of mine on a recent Carnival cruise. I hope you enjoy this version of the Carnival Cruise Chocolate Melting Cake.
I recently took a cruise, and personally, I loved it. For me, it was a great way to get away and relax. Every night for dinner I had this most amazing dessert. I had the dessert that many people enjoy when they go on a Carnival Cruise, I had their chocolate melting cake.
You may know this as chocolate lava cake, and honestly, it is amazing. It didn’t matter what else they were serving for dinner, this is the dessert I wanted.
Did you know that these are very easy to prepare? If you are hosting a dinner party, you will look amazing when you serve one of these chocolate desserts. Jean-Georges Vongerichten may not have been the originator of this recipe, but he certainly made this dish popular in the 1980s.
This cake is done on the outside but the inside is rich melted warm chocolate that you will love.
A lot of people serve this dish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. While it does add something nice to the dish, I have served this many times without that scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Making Chocolate Melting Cake
Use only the ingredients as listed. You can’t use margarine, it won’t turn out as well. You need to buy a good quality bar of chocolate. I find this chocolate in the baking section of the grocery store.
Don’t use milk chocolate, you will end up with enough sweetness to throw everyone into a sugar comma. I also like to start out with all of my ingredients at room temperature, I think it makes mixing everything up together go better.
If you are concerned about the eggs, please consider using eggs that pasteurized.
You really do need to let this rest in the refrigerator before baking. The texture will be better. I really suggest using ramekins for this dessert. This way you can make individual portions. These dishes are inexpensive, and you can also do things like bake eggs in them as well.
Love chocolate desserts? Try these recipes:
- Arby’s Chocolate Turnovers
- Easy Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Cracker Barrel Chocolate Pecan Pie
Chocolate Melting Cake
- 6 ounces butter
- 6 ounces baking chocolate (ideally 60% cacao)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 ] egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons butter for ramekins
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a small bowl melt together chocolate and butter in the microwave. Melt for 30 seconds and stir, and repeat until chocolate and butter are melted. Whisk together eggs and sugar until they are lighter in color and foamy. Add melted chocolate to egg mixture. Stir in vanilla extract, salt, and flour. Spread butter in ramekins to grease the dishes. Pour batter into dishes.
- Cover dishes with plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, you can refrigerate these for up to 4 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 to 15 minutes. The tops will be firm, but the insides will be melting. Dust with powdered sugar, and serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired.